Seriously, is everyone as happy with life and as 'popular' and content as they make out on their homepage?

You look at Facebook or Myspace and even here in Cafemom and it's all rosy and happy yet when you walk in the park or through the shops society as a whole presents as sad & detached. Is everyone really as 'happy' as they portray in these internet forums? Are people to scared to say "I'm in the depths of despair, no-one I talk to understands me"... "I'm sick to death of all the competition and judgement".

When did being happy and successful all the time become mandatory?

Where is the range of human emotion? We're all robots.

Waxing_Lyrical

Asked by Waxing_Lyrical at 6:31 AM on Apr. 5, 2009 in Relationships

• most of the time i love my life but when it goes bad or my hubbys at war i let ppl know how im feeling. i agree though that theres too many ppl putting on a front
    EliseSantos

Answer by EliseSantos at 6:56 AM on Apr. 5, 2009

• clearly you havent seen my myspace or facebook... I am a most of the time an unhappy person.... and Ill let ya know it to!
    soonmommyof3

Answer by soonmommyof3 at 7:04 AM on Apr. 5, 2009

• I know of some people who do just that and it is annoying. I have bad days like everyone else but I am a pretty happy person so I would say mine is right
    worriedmommy600

Answer by worriedmommy600 at 7:17 AM on Apr. 5, 2009

• I'm happy with my life... sometimes my son doesn't listen and sometimes i fight with my husband and sometimes we are so broke that I have to decide which bill is not getting paid so we can get groceries, sometimes I want to slaughter my dog, but overall I'm happy.

I am NOT happy about spring this year... my allergies are in overdrive for some reason and guess who can't take decent allergy meds cus she's pregnant???
    Crystal1124

Answer by Crystal1124 at 8:19 AM on Apr. 5, 2009

• Where the heck are you looking because every time I turn around someone is saying "Help meeee, I'm pathetic, my husband watches the porn, I have low self-esteem, I've let myself go and now he's looking at hot girls at the mall!"
    Fistandantalus

Answer by Fistandantalus at 8:28 AM on Apr. 5, 2009

• I'm with the majority... for the most part my life is good. Sure this year we've been more concerned about money but who hasn't that's counting on a monthly check.
    I feel really lucky that I have two really pretty kids that are relatively healthy, and my husband is a pretty nice guy who's never beat me, and doesn't hurt me in any way on purpose (who hasn't had their feelings hurt?).
    I'm lucky enough to have some really good friends who've passed the test of friendship recently when I had to go in the hospital and they worked together to make sure my kids had somewhere to stay and a way back and forth to school.
    Yea, I'd say that even tho I've been thru my own personal hell losing both parents, and two babies (one miscarriage, one stillbirth) all before I was 25 I think I'm doing okay in the emotional department... I'm stronger than I ever knew, and I'm thankful for all of the little things.
    lisa_ann_p

Answer by lisa_ann_p at 8:30 AM on Apr. 5, 2009

• I think more of the posts at least here in answers are either about troubled moms about being a parent, wife, dil, adult child than about happiness. But it's good that people ask for help. The most obsessive thing people write in about is if they're pregnant or why anon. Those two questions I think are the most asked every day just about since I joined. I won't id myself to people that I can not see soon in real time. Sometimes this place is as bad as the worst made public on facebook and myspace. I've hardly ever doubted myself as a mom even though my kids of course have. And in other parts of my life I feel secure too just that obnoxious family members have wanted in on moves that legally and emotionally are none of their business. They understand that now and we get along better.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:44 AM on Apr. 5, 2009

• I have a very happy and blessed life. I don't compete with others nor am I popular. Most of my facebook friends are people I knew in highschool. My status's though generally reflect my mood for the day. I hate reading something like that where the person is obviously using it as a means to brag to lots. For instance- I have one friend who posted something like "wow 3 cars and 2 bikes?? When did we become ballas" and that is really obnoxious.
    ZaTa

Answer by ZaTa at 9:26 AM on Apr. 5, 2009

• I'm happy and content 95% of the time. The other 5%, I'm just a witch.... :)
    hdb

Answer by hdb at 11:13 AM on Apr. 5, 2009

• Yes I am as happy as my homepage shows. My husband and I have worked hard to be where we are, we have over come hard times in life and marriage and could not be happier.
    lapcounter

Answer by lapcounter at 1:54 PM on Apr. 5, 2009