what do i do

My son is almost 18 months old and hes very smart but i dont know what to do. Im having trouble finding proper ways to disaplaning him. He wont listen to me or his father, we tried talking, raising our voices, time out but hes to little to understand that, and even gone as far as smaking his hand and once or twice on the bum. I dont want to spank him and im at a loss. Please can some one give me any ideas of what else i can do. Im also expecting a new baby in august in which he doesnt understand that yet and i dont want to lose my mind with him acting out and the new baby.

tristinsmommy

Asked by tristinsmommy at 7:14 AM on Apr. 5, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Do you have a play pen to put him in when he is getting out of control and not listening? You can put him in his crib too for a short time.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:13 AM on Apr. 5, 2009

• Sorry, but he's not too little to understand time outs. You have to be consistent. He can leave time out when he's ready to do as he was told and if he doesn't do what he was told, he goes right back into time out.

Yes, you may have to do it every day for the same "offense" for a while, but I promise you he is not too little to learn. It's just like everything else, he has to LEARN what it means. He's not going to know the first time, but he will "get" it.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 8:29 AM on Apr. 5, 2009

• he is not too little to understand a raised voice.......... try talking to your doc for some advice
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 8:41 AM on Apr. 5, 2009

• I know it is frustrating but you just have to be as consistent as possible. My son is 22 months old and still thinks it's funny to get in trouble. I have started to put him in his crib for a time out of 1 minute and that seems to be working so far. Good luck and congratulations on the new baby.

joleensboys

Answer by joleensboys at 8:53 AM on Apr. 5, 2009

• i agree be consistint with time outs. my son is 3 and when i put him in his time outs he will get up and i say no and will put him back by the 2nd time he will just sit thre till the timer goes off ( which i reset when he gets up ) and if he does it again he goes back,
    tabbys4

Answer by tabbys4 at 9:17 AM on Apr. 5, 2009

• It does no good to raise your voice...they quickly learn to tune you out. 18 months is not to old to be put in a time out. Talking/reasoning to him isn't going to work at this point. Pick your battles wisely, focusing on keeping him and others safe. When he is doing something like throwing a fit, put him on the couch and let him throw it, doing it every time he throws a fit.
    Of course in the beginning it won't work immediately, you have to be consistent. He will learn eventually. Being a parent is a daily job. You need to be consistent and he needs to know where his boundaries are.
    MomShawn70

Answer by MomShawn70 at 9:45 AM on Apr. 5, 2009

• I agree that you have to be consistent with a toddler this age (pick one punishment and enforce it EVERY single time that you threaten it- otherwise they will know you are full of it, lol). Our son was like that at this age, very willful, wouldn't listen or do anything we told him. But in our case, it turned out that he has autism (1 in 95 boys in the US has it) so that was what was causing him to ignore us and not care about getting in trouble. Your son is probably fine, but this is the age that this kind of thing starts to show up. I just wanted to mention it just in case...if he is not pointing to things to get your attention, bringing toys to show you, paying attention when you talk in general then you should mention this concern to your pediatrician. Otherwise, you just have to let him know you mean business. If you tell him 'put it down' and he doesn't do it, and then you do nothing, he will tune you out. Good luck!
    Norest4mommy

Answer by Norest4mommy at 1:08 AM on Apr. 6, 2009