Can you feed an infant cold formula?

TheMadHatter

Asked by TheMadHatter at 7:32 AM on Apr. 5, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Sure. Some might not take it, if they are used to it warm, but it's not going to harm them.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 8:01 AM on Apr. 5, 2009

• Yep. They may not take it right away, but you just warm it less and less until it's right out of the fridge. We did it at 5 months in preparation for them going to a sippy cup. I made a big batch of formula and poured it right into their cup. Then when it was time for the switch to milk we didn't have to go from warm to cold drinks.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 8:26 AM on Apr. 5, 2009

• if they will drink it
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 8:40 AM on Apr. 5, 2009

• Talk to their doctor first. Most of that stuff has been taken off the market even for toddlers and preschoolers. You need to know the right amount before you give anything so please call the pediatrician first.

joleensboys

Answer by joleensboys at 8:45 AM on Apr. 5, 2009

• Do you mean cold as in sniffles, sneezing medication? Or as in cold from the fridge formula?
    CookieMom108

Answer by CookieMom108 at 9:13 AM on Apr. 5, 2009

• Oops, I hit send too quick! If you mean cold medicine, check with the pediatrician. If you mean cold infant formula as in milk, then yeah it's ok. I usually warmed up my baby's bottles, but when he hit 6 months old or so I gave it to him cold. I figured cold milk tasted better than warm milk.
    CookieMom108

Answer by CookieMom108 at 9:16 AM on Apr. 5, 2009

• A newborn usually won't drink formula if it's not warm. But after a couple of months they''ll start drinking lukewarm. My baby is 3 months old and drinks her formula room temperature if I can't heat it up.
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 9:20 AM on Apr. 5, 2009

• Sorry I thought you meant cold med's. When is comes to cold baby formula it is ok to give it to them cold. Most babies don't like it cold but some do. My first son did like it cold from the fridge he didn't want it wormed up at all. My second son would not touch it cold.

joleensboys

Answer by joleensboys at 9:20 AM on Apr. 5, 2009

• if they will take it there's no reason that you HAVE to warm it. Usually warming it just makes it more like breastmilk so take the bottle better, but if your child will drink it cold, go ahead and skip the warming. My DD started drinking it cold at about 5 months. She didn't mind at all.
    kristal2146

Answer by kristal2146 at 9:32 AM on Apr. 5, 2009

• Whatever you start them on that is more likely what they are going to take. For example my 15 month old when she was born I started with nursing but after 2 weeks I couldn't anymore (long story) but I had to go to formula I started from the beginning giving her formula that was cold and she would take it and when I tried giving her warm formula she wouldn't take it. My nephew however my sister doesn't fill a bottle before she goes someplace she will get water where ever she is at and it is very warm water he is 8.5 months now and he will not drink formula that is cold or even a little cold. Like if you leave water out then put it in a bottle he wont drink it so I think it depends on what they are used too.
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 9:51 AM on Apr. 5, 2009