My daughter grits her teeth at night so bad I think she is going to break them! Does anyone know what to do to make her stop??

Hi well my daughter is 4 and she grits and grinds her teeth so bad a night it sounds like she is goona break them! What makes her do it and how can I help her to stop??

ALLEYJEWEL02

Asked by ALLEYJEWEL02 at 8:23 AM on Apr. 5, 2009 in Kids' Health

• you can get a mouth guard in the sports department for like 2 dollars... my sister used to do it so bad we could hear her upstairs.
    Crystal1124

Answer by Crystal1124 at 8:25 AM on Apr. 5, 2009

• you can buy a mouth gaurd for her to use at night so that she doesnt damage her teeth
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 8:38 AM on Apr. 5, 2009

• my mom had the same problem for years. See went to a chiroprator/naturopathic doctor and he said her jaw was out of place. since it has been put in place no headaches and no grinding.
    zipitty

Answer by zipitty at 9:02 AM on Apr. 5, 2009

• Take her to the dentist, her jaws may not be lined up properly (mine aren't) and I had headaches for years. They make a special guard for it that will take line them back up over time.
    lisa_ann_p

Answer by lisa_ann_p at 12:48 PM on Apr. 5, 2009

• yep take her to the dentist.. they need to give her a guard.
    Aasiyah

Answer by Aasiyah at 3:04 PM on Apr. 5, 2009

• I should've asked if you have insurance... I didn't have dental... my occlusal guard to line my jaws back up was $1200, that was about 4 years ago.
    If you don't have insurance, I'd get some before I had her diagnosed with that problem so it wouldn't be pre-existing. But don't ignore it because of the price, I was constantly biting my cheeks, and grinding/clenching my teeth and had really bad headaches, so it's no pleasure trip IF that's what the deal is with your child
    lisa_ann_p

Answer by lisa_ann_p at 7:20 PM on Apr. 5, 2009

• Get a mouth guard from the sports section.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 8:55 PM on Apr. 5, 2009

• My son does it too and he is 5. I think his is stress. His daddy lives in another state. He hasn't been able to find a job to transfer were we live, but I have to be up here for reasons... so for the mean time our family is broken and it is stressful on all of us. But I have heard that chiropractic visits can help. I grind my teeth sometimes, when I am stressed. I drink catnip tea or take a vailarian root supplement before bed and it helps alot. There is a kids vailarian root supplement called Super calm, and I have started to give it to my son. I have not noticed any teeth grinding, but its not like is sit next to his bed and wait for it...
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 1:35 AM on Apr. 7, 2009

• My son did it so bad that his teeth were all flat on bottom. We tried the guard with no luck. Although I would occasionally sorta squish his cheeks at night when he would do it. He finally stopped at about 6 years old on his own. He is 13 and hasn't done it since. But, it was constant from about 5months to 6years.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:40 AM on Apr. 7, 2009

• My son used to grind his teeth so bad at night that it sounded like he was chewing on a hard candy. He grew out of it though. His dentist said there wasn't much they can do about it when kids are so young. I know that doesn't help, but its possible she'll grow out of it.
    ithi

Answer by ithi at 12:01 PM on Apr. 12, 2009