A purpose for everything........

I just posted in one of my groups and decided to post here.
Today my daughters will go to view a 4 year old girl who was hurt in a car accident a little over a week ago and died on the 2nd.
In my religion,we believe that this IS an act of God with a purpose.We believe in the big scheme of things ,God's plan is perfect.What do I tell my girls the purpose of God taking the life of a 4 year old girl?

laranadtony

Asked by laranadtony at 9:04 AM on Apr. 5, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• How old are your girls? I believe there is a purpose for everything as well. It is also my belief that we are to protect our children from such tradgey. I don't find a funeral a time to teach a lesson to young children. It's ok to tell them about it, tell them that God called her home, but I'd keep them away from the funeral. What help is seeing a dead 4 year old?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:21 AM on Apr. 5, 2009

• I'm sorry. I can tell you that even though 4 is very very young to go to a wake, if it's any comfort it's not any easier at all even being an older child. is it really necessary for her to go. I've told my kids that God just takes us into his arms where ever we are when He needs us, no one knows why we die or why we die in different ways. That is God's choice, like some times some one in Heaven already needs more love that a certain person is full of and it's the newly passed person's time in universe to help soothe the earlier deceased person.
    It's hard. We've had suicide touch our lives and aids too. No matter what religiously you think death is about it has to be understand on a child's level AT YOUR CHILD'S AGE AND THEIR DEPTH OF CURIOUSITY. Maybe ask your minister or girls' school counsellor to help you? I've never told my kids that we must suffer in any degree on earth to be able to get in to heaven either. Scary
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:24 AM on Apr. 5, 2009

• How tragic- my heart goes out to them! I'm not sure how old your children are, but I would try talking to them at their level about it. And I don't think you need to give a concrete 'purpose' for this tragedy- you can still confirm your faith by telling them something like: "We just don't know what God's purpose is in taking someone so young, but we believe that there IS a purpose and have faith in God's design even when it's hard to understand the reasons why."
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 9:56 AM on Apr. 5, 2009

• The little girl is 4.My daughters are grown.My one daughter turns to me for guidence on things like this.
    laranadtony

Answer by laranadtony at 10:21 AM on Apr. 5, 2009

• How tragic!
    I'm not sure what to tell them.
    I believe God uses everything and brings good out of everything for those called according to His purpose, but I don't believe God DOES these things. He is not the author of death and pain, but He is the author of turning these things into His glory & of bringing good out of our chaos and sadness.

Look up verses that suport what you believe and share them with your daughters and pray for guidance and understanding.
    Kiter

Answer by Kiter at 10:52 AM on Apr. 5, 2009

• I went to a viewing of a 5 year old last year who died of a head trauma. I could not believe the coffin was open! I was so upset. I had a scream stuck in my throat. Please rethink taking children under 18 to see this. Maybe the purpose is to talk about this tragedy, not to actually see it. I am just upset thinking that the 1 year anniversary is coming up in May, having read your question. I'm 37 soo please think long and hard.

Teachermom01

Answer by Teachermom01 at 10:55 AM on Apr. 5, 2009

• I would tell her that only God knows why things happen and we should trust in him completely.
    Anonymous

• How aweful, as a parent of a 4 year old, I can't even imagine the pain of this family. I believe there are times we see a purpose and other times we don't.......but that doesn't mean there isn't one, we just may not know it until we ourselves are in the presence of the Lord. I'm not an avid watcher of Joel Osteen but I watched his service last week and he said something that really made alot of sense in regards to things we don't understand (tragedy, loss etc) He said "Don't put a question mark where God has put a period". In other words trust completely in His purpose and plan.....try not to live consumed by the question of Why?........Just remember His goodness and attempt to move on, trusting in His ultimate plan. (this does not mean there will not be a time of grief and pain though)
    deedee3849

Answer by deedee3849 at 2:16 PM on Apr. 5, 2009

• I would tell them that God missed her so much that he wanted to bring her home. That's what my mom always told me when I was little. Of course, there is an alternative. You could tell them that God knew what was going to happen to her and he couldn't stand to see one of his children go through that much pain, so he took her home. Of course, if you use that one, you have to be prepared for the "what was coming" questions.
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 11:18 PM on Apr. 5, 2009

• Be honest. Tell them life is not fair to anyone--even innocent little girls. IMO, they shouldn't be going to a funeral at such a young age. Imagine the nightmares!!!
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 2:12 PM on Apr. 6, 2009