• In the Spotlight:

What is normal weight loss in early pregnancy?? Should I be worried??

I just found out I was pregnant a couple days ago and have calculated that today I turned 5 weeks along. In the last 3 weeks I have had no appetite, been feeling really dizzy and so on so I havent been eating alot. (since I found out I have been making it a point to eat SOMETHING..), but anyway, my last regular doc.app was almost 2 months ago and I weighed 112, then I went last week for a check-up and was 107 and know now that I may have lost it from being preg., but I just weighted myself now and Im only 103, so Ive lost 9 pounds since I got pregnant 5 weeks ago. Is this normal or dangerous because I didnt lose any weight at all with my daughter.

asholan_07

Asked by asholan_07 at 9:35 AM on Apr. 5, 2009 in Pregnancy

• My doctor was never worried about weight loss during early pregnancy. I lost some weight and my husband was a nervous wreck about it and would mention it everytime to the doctor and the doc would just say, I am not worried about it. Weight loss is very common in early pregnancy. One day, you will go into the doctor and have gained like 8 pounds all of a sudden.
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 9:40 AM on Apr. 5, 2009

• every pregnancy is different.I am going through pretty much the same problem.i didnt lose any weight with my daughter, but now i am pregnant with a boy, (im 24 weeks now) and im still losing weight. well it will go up,then i will lose some, then gain..and so on.The doc isnt worried about it though because the baby is measuring fine and all.So i wouldnt be worried about it too much
    brittoh

Answer by brittoh at 9:40 AM on Apr. 5, 2009

• Thats odd and doesn't sound like its from being pregnant unless you've been throwing up. You must really not be eating or it is something else. I would call the doctor and ask him ( i know i know everyone hates reading "call the doctor") But that just seems odd.
    Congrats by the way :)
    amy31308

Answer by amy31308 at 9:40 AM on Apr. 5, 2009

• Definitely talk to your doctor. You already weighed next to nothing and to lose more I think would be very dangerous. Now, In my situation, I lost 20 pounds right off the bat but I'm also morbidly obese and figured it was just because I was cutting out the crap food, soda, etc. but in your case, I would be concerned.

p.s. saltine crackers are your friend if you nauseous :)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:48 AM on Apr. 5, 2009

• i lost 13 pounds, and didnt gain it back until last week (the first week of the second trimester) i was told that as long as i could eay SOMETHING healthy, then do it, and take my vitamins so that the baby has what it needs =)
    StacyDeAnn

Answer by StacyDeAnn at 11:17 AM on Apr. 5, 2009

• with my daughter i lost about 15 pounds in the first half of my pregnancy then gained it all back plus about 15 more in the last half. i also had a lot of morning sickness though. i could barely keep anything besides yellow gatorade and lemon drops down. i didnt really get an appetite at all until i was about 20 weeks along. in the begining typically i believe women gain about a pound a month. so you really arent that far behind. every one is different though.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 11:19 AM on Apr. 5, 2009

• They say morning sickness can be a form of nausea that makes you not want to eat, in turn, causing you to loose weight. If you were a healthy weight to begin with, I wouldn't worry too much...your baby will suck the nutrients from you one way or another...if you were underweight to begin with you might want to goto the doc so he can maybe have you get on extra supplements or protein shakes. I am in the same boat. I am not throwing up but I am constantly nauseaous and do not want to eat anything, because its all grossing me out. I try hard to just drink milk, take my vitamins and drink lots of water. Fruits are OK for me, but recently everything makes me want to throw up, but I am not...so hope this will pass quick. Oh the joys of being pregnant!
    tinalloyd

Answer by tinalloyd at 12:41 PM on Apr. 5, 2009