ways to help5year old stop playing with fire?

i just got cousdy of my grandson witch is 5 years old he likes to play with lighters he caught my daughters house on fire and has been caught with lighters 2 time sence then

dreykgramma

Asked by dreykgramma at 9:47 AM on Apr. 5, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Get him counselling and don't stop, school counselling daily which is free for him and you too even twice a day demand it. They should have no problem doing it considering the situation. Have him with you at all times - do not allow him to be in any place at all where there are matches. Psychiatric are is need too I think, least i'd do it. He should never be around smokers any way at all with matches or lighters, no boy scouts where a bonfire camping might be made. Good Luck Gramma. It's obvious you love your grandson. Prayers for him and you.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:53 AM on Apr. 5, 2009

• Take him to your local Fire station where they might explain to him the severities of playing w/fire and even give him a tour of things and possibly a fire hat, make it fun to him, but effective as well!!
    Becki.Nagy

Answer by Becki.Nagy at 11:28 AM on Apr. 5, 2009

• Supervision. There's no substitute for it. Quit smoking and check the boys pockets and room frequently. You cannot let this continue.
    Anonymous

• remove the items that make the fires.

Anonymous

• My mom took my (now 6yrs)son to the stove and turned the fire on and put his hand close enough that he felt the heat and as cruel as it may sound, he has NEVER played with anything that will start a fire..the fear was instilled. My 2yr old nephew got the same dose of knowledge and will tell you NO the stove is hot don't touch it or play with it"
    sexymommyrb

Answer by sexymommyrb at 10:41 AM on Apr. 8, 2009