delaying kindergarten

has anyone ever held their child back a year, and started them in kindergarten at age 6? i am considering it. i don't feel my child is ready for kindergarten, and i'd rather hold my child back a year on my own as opposed to the possibility of my child being held back a grade after they are already in school. i wouldn't want my child to be embarrassed if they had to repeat grade 1 or 2. if i hold them back now, that could be avoided.
no bashing please.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:00 AM on Apr. 5, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I have a degree in Early Childhood Education. Right now I teach preschool, but I have been in K before. I am a HUGE fan of holding back, even when a child seems ready. My son is 5.5 and is in private K right now, next year he will attend public K again. And he is very smart, he is reading and adding and subtracting. I am not doing it for academics, I am doing it for maturity reasons.

I have never heard of a parent who regretted the decision to hold back from K.
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 10:08 AM on Apr. 5, 2009

• I personally would give it a go and enroll the child in kindergarten. You never know, it might work out and your child might learn quick. As well, the schools can sometimes offer more help to help the child advance, or you can possibly suggest that to the school to have more help for your child! Wish you the best of luck on your decision...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:04 AM on Apr. 5, 2009

• My oldest was a spet baby and I could have started her early.. but didnt. I am so glad. YOu know your childbetter than any chart....dont feel pressured to do what doesnt feel right
    klangert

Answer by klangert at 10:05 AM on Apr. 5, 2009

• Is it that you do not think your child is ready for school,,,,or that YOU are not ready for your child to go to school...Be away from you for that long..Some parent have this problem..Separation issues

Answer by louise2 at 10:16 AM on Apr. 5, 2009

• I wanted to hold my child back, but he was ready. He read and counted and so forth. I know of a child who needed to be held back in first grade, and the touching way it was handled was that the teacher explained at the end of the school year that the children were going to a new grade next year but that she needed one child to volunteer to stay in first grade and help the new children who would be coming in. Of course all the children wanted to stay, but she picked the little guy who needed to repeat the grade. It was very well done. So what I am suggesting is to see how he does but do let him try kindergarten. He can always repeat it if needed and will be that much farther ahead by having already done it once.

Answer by Bmat at 10:28 AM on Apr. 5, 2009

• I woud go with what you feel. My oldest started K this year, but he had been in pre-school for three years previous. My decision to start him came partially from IEP's and from the advances I had seen in him. I do not regret the decision to start him, but if he would have needed more time, I would have held him back no question. It is all up to you. You are the momma, you know him best.
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 10:42 AM on Apr. 5, 2009

• Absolutely delay kindergarten if you don't feel s/he is ready. Too many moms push for early enrollment, when their kids are only 4, because they want a break and don't take their child's readiness into account. No harm will come from waiting until your child is 6.

Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 2:08 PM on Apr. 5, 2009