Is it normal for my six month old baby boy to grunt a lot?

He is always grunting. While he is watching tv, or playing. I am afraid that maybe he is trying to tell me something that I am missing. Please give me your advise. Thank you in advance ladies.

js3mommy

Asked by js3mommy at 10:07 AM on Apr. 5, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Is he sleeping alright, pulling on an ear? crying constantly and also grunting? Does he laugh at all in surprise or on purpose? If he only grunts and isn't social ever and has never been then talk more to ped. Probably he's just finding his voice? if you praise that sound more than distract him with more social words or actions maybe he feels you want that sound? or I dunno maybe constpated.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:11 AM on Apr. 5, 2009

• my son grunts when hes happy and when he crawls idk why but he does though
    masonsmommy921

Answer by masonsmommy921 at 10:28 AM on Apr. 5, 2009

• My son is starting to do the grunting thing...when he's playing or whatnot, so I think it's just part of him finding his voice and realizing he can use it more...kinda like he's experimenting with what he can do or "say".
    newirishmommy

Answer by newirishmommy at 10:33 AM on Apr. 5, 2009

• My now almost 10 month old grunted for the longest time, but he makes all kinds of noises and would smile usually when doing it he wasnt in pain. I think he was exploring with all the sounds his voice makes
    Scoobersmom

Answer by Scoobersmom at 10:33 AM on Apr. 5, 2009

• My 8 month old grunts all the time...during play by himself and that is also his way of throwing a tantrum...he will wriggle and grunt while he has to sit still for something (eating, diaper change.) For my guy, its just a little attitude.
    Now he is learning to click his tongue so he has been "clicking" alot.
    jenellemarie

Answer by jenellemarie at 10:37 AM on Apr. 5, 2009

• I think grunting is normal. Try learning and using a few signs of ASLwith him. He maybe trying to comunicate.
    (Infants as young as 6 months have been known to use a few simple ASL signs).
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 11:11 AM on Apr. 5, 2009

• My son used to grunt all the time at that age. I think it was just the only way he could figure out how to communicate.
    quirkymama

Answer by quirkymama at 11:37 AM on Apr. 5, 2009

• My daughter grunted all the time at that age... it stopped when she learned to blow raspberries soon after.... now that's what she does constantly. it's pretty funny.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 1:22 PM on Apr. 5, 2009

• I sure hope so my son started doing it around that age he's almost 8 months now and still does lol
    TristansMommy16

Answer by TristansMommy16 at 1:44 PM on Apr. 5, 2009