sniffling, stuffy nose

my son is just a week or so away from being 5 months and he's constantly getting a stuffy nose and he just sounds miserable, although his demeanor hasn't seemed to change. Is there anything I can do to make him more comfortable? I'm pretty sure he's teething and that probably has something to do with the nose thing...I put baby vicks on his chest at night and always run a cool mist humidifier regardless, I've used the baby saline solution and the nose sucker thing too...just curious if there's anything else I can do...

newirishmommy

Asked by newirishmommy at 10:28 AM on Apr. 5, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Are you using the Vicks every night? If so, stop using it...it might clear right up. Vicks can help clear out nostrils but over the long term, it will actually prevent your body from being able to clear mucous on its own. You could also put his crib mattress on a slight incline by putting a pillow under one side of the mattress. Sleeping on an angle can help drainage and keep his nose clear in the night.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 11:05 AM on Apr. 5, 2009

• Yea my son always had a stuffy nose. And sometimes still does. The doctors were like "that's normal baby stuff". I still feel bad b/c it sounds like he can't breath sometimes. I use saline drops also and little noses sucker...b/c the red cross nose sucker was too thick to really get anything out. I find now he is 6 mo. he is less stuffy. But he still gets those huge boogies.
    mommylovesu28

Answer by mommylovesu28 at 1:28 PM on Apr. 5, 2009

• baby Tylenol
    Anonymous

• baby tylenol for his nose? i understand for pain...but for a stuffy nose?
    newirishmommy

Answer by newirishmommy at 9:21 PM on Apr. 5, 2009

• there is a nose sucker that has a hose you suck on and it gets the boogies out , without getting it anywhere near your mouth it works alot better than the traditional bulb
    melissa33181

Answer by melissa33181 at 5:43 PM on Apr. 8, 2009