Could this be Asthma?

I 've noticed my son seems to have a hard time when he's running like he just can't keep up. He's not over weight, very active, but complains of his chest hurting when her runs alot? Very little coughing and no whezzing? Could this be asthma or something else?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:29 AM on Apr. 5, 2009 in General Parenting

• It doesn't sound like asthma. He's probably just out of breath from running. Asthma symptoms include coughing bad, wheezing and at times the cough is worse at night. You might want to mention this to the doctor though. Good luck.
    mamaada

Answer by mamaada at 10:32 AM on Apr. 5, 2009

• It sounds very much like asthma to me. When I was a kid I couldn't keep up and my chest hurt when I ran and felt ill, couldn't get my breath. I felt that I was inferior, that if I'd only try harder I'd be able to keep up with the other children, and that it was my fault that I couldn't keep up. It wasn't until I was an adult that my asthma was diagnosed and I realized that all of those years that I thought I was bad or inferior were just sad.

Answer by Bmat at 10:32 AM on Apr. 5, 2009

• if this is happing durring exercise i would definantly say something to dr....could be asthma, sounds a litlle like my guys symptoms but its always better to be safe then sorry.
    drivnkids

Answer by drivnkids at 12:34 PM on Apr. 5, 2009

• There are a few different types of asthma, my son only has an attack when he gets a cold... So I would definitley have him checked... GL
    4x4mum

Answer by 4x4mum at 1:05 PM on Apr. 5, 2009

• Like the above said, there are different types. Some are induced by exercise, some by allergies, and some by colds. It doesn't sound normal to ME for an otherwise healthy child to be so out of breath. I would make an appointment.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 1:50 PM on Apr. 5, 2009

• Like the others have said, there are numerous types of asthma. He could have exercise induced asthma.
    Magpie75

Answer by Magpie75 at 4:15 PM on Apr. 5, 2009

• I thought about something after answering earlier...My son complained about this last Spring, no cough, just chest pain, he ended up with Pnuemonia. So yes, you should probably get it checked out. IMO
    mamaada

Answer by mamaada at 5:15 PM on Apr. 5, 2009

• its probably exercise induced asthma. but have him cheched out just to be safe. recommend they test his lungs with an allergist sometimes the pediatrician has a specialist in the office that does an ashma breath test. theres a proper term for the spealist and the test but i forget the name. all the child does is blow through a tube and try to pop the ballons on the screen of the computer.its very simple my child gets it done in the pediatricians office every 6 mths. i hope this helps.
    hellokitty27

Answer by hellokitty27 at 6:37 PM on Apr. 5, 2009