How can I teach my son to poop in the toilet ?

I need some advice I can get him to pee in the toilet whenever prompted but he will go and hide an poop his pants its almost like he thinks poop goes in the diaper and pee goes in the toilet , This is my first time potty training and Mason is 26 months old so I think the timeing is right , right?

melissa33181

Asked by melissa33181 at 10:33 AM on Apr. 5, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• You just have to take the diaper with poop, put the poop in the potty after he is done, and tell him "poo poo goes in potty" If you catch him mid way through a poopie, try to get him to finish in the potty. I have always heard you should let your child see you poop, but I was never comfortable to do that...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:40 AM on Apr. 5, 2009

• we never let them watch us poop but when training we always said things like oh daddy you pooped in the potty what a big boy .(exagerate it) try the reward method m and ms are great for that cheep and you only need to give like 2 or three. and yes if you catch him get him to the potty and let him finish there and let the flush thats a BIG giggle for them and we even waved bye bye.
    drivnkids

Answer by drivnkids at 12:32 PM on Apr. 5, 2009

• My sons pediatrician said that pooping in the stool is scary for children-it's the sensation of their little insides falling out-once we addressed that, along with making sure he knew poop should go in the toilet, we got through it. He had a bit of a struggle the first time but after the big deal we made, he had only a few oopsies.
    Good luck!
    tjscam7

Answer by tjscam7 at 3:01 PM on Apr. 5, 2009