Does anybody have a minature yorkie?

If so, are yorkies easy to take care of and what is the worse and greatest thing about them. I am considering getting one and I would like some feedback.

ivntee07

Asked by ivntee07 at 10:38 AM on Apr. 5, 2009 in Pets

• No such thing as a miniature yorkie. just a yorkie.
    babycakes254

Answer by babycakes254 at 12:02 PM on Apr. 5, 2009

• No way! No way! Of course they're cute and cuddly and rambunctious, but I couldn't allow a small yappy dog around my children, anything smaller than a cocker spaniel, as my rat terrier will go live with my mom for a while after baby comes. Which I would definitely suggest over a yorkie any day.

Yorkies have loooooong hair that constantly grows, and will drag the ground if allowed to get that long. They are high maintenance in keeping up with grooming, and of course you have to worry with the "Big Dog Complex"... they get super jealous, and are typically a one-person dog. Since they're a toy breed, (bred to collect fleas from royals) they have to have constant companionship, which is why the majority of the prim ladies that own them carry them in bags everywhere they go.

Take a look at this site:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yorkshire_Terrier#History
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 12:09 PM on Apr. 5, 2009

• 1) they were bred for their hair and color (...? What purpose do they serve?)
    2) take a look at that list of health issues!
    3) and the maintenance seems a litt--- LOT extensive to me...
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 12:11 PM on Apr. 5, 2009

• And there ARE standard, miniature, and teacup.
    matobe

• ive personally never had one, but i have a few friends that do..and all i know is the snap alot of people..and they are expensive to maintain withtheir har and what not..very rambunctious (sp?)
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 1:18 PM on Apr. 5, 2009

• I have a regular yorkie she is 5 months old. She doesfine around my other dog and my 3 cats. She is rambunctious but I don't know that I would call her yappie she barks if she hears other dogs or if she hears the door bell but other than that she is fairly quiet. she does have a lot of energy and will get into things if left unattended however she is a puppy. She does not need constant attention she is fine being kenneled while we are at work. My biggest pet peeve with her is that she eats the cat poop out of our kitty litter box no matter how clean I keep it. as far as the health issues go any pure breed dog is going to have health issues my cocker spaniel has constat ear problems it just goes with the territory of owning a dog. As far as grooming her we have had her since she was 9 weeks old and groomed her once and her hair doesn't drag on the floor you can also pull it up out of their face and eyes once long enough
    ntschetter

Answer by ntschetter at 3:18 PM on Apr. 5, 2009

• she also does get jealous as matobe has said however just like anything else you have to train her. I tell her no if I am petting my other dog beans and then after I am done when I decide I then give her love. If you would like to see my dog visit my home page if you have any questions you can send me a message.
    ntschetter

Answer by ntschetter at 3:21 PM on Apr. 5, 2009

• ntschetter, that's the puppy coat. that page on wikipedia explains a lot, and in the section it talks about showing yorkies, it tells that their coats don't fully mature until they're 3 years old, so no, a 5 month old puppy won't have hair dragging the floor...

But OP, as she's stated, she's 5 mos old, so in the 2.5mos they've had her, they've already had to have her groomed...
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 3:43 PM on Apr. 5, 2009

• This is gross, but my neighbor has one across the street, and the dog always smells like a used Kotex. I know that is really gross to say, but her whole house used to be spotless and never smelled, but now since she got this female yorkie the whole house reaks of a used pad. It's horrible and now her car is starting to smell like it too. I have no idea why, if it is her hair or her breath or her anal glands or what, but it is disgusting.
    Anonymous

• I have two words... HIGH MAINTENANCE... I have a Morkie (miniature yorkie/maltese mix) puppy and he needs a bath regularly because the long hair picks up everything outside... leaves, sticks, dirt... you name it. I knew what I was getting into when I got him though. I absolutely love him to death. Training him is difficult because the breed type is obstinate. They are very "I do what I want when I want - kind of like a cat LOL) I have a mastiff puppy that is two weeks older and he is leaps and bounds ahead of my Morkie in training because of the different breed temperment. They both have their good qualities though although they are complete opposites of the size spectrum.
    cat1622

Answer by cat1622 at 5:18 PM on Apr. 5, 2009