when can you start teaching babies sign language

My daughter is kinda doing some of it but she would do some of it

proudmomwifey

Asked by proudmomwifey at 11:15 AM on Apr. 5, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• We started teaching them around 9 or 10 months but our daughter really picked then up fast when our friends gave us a "Baby Signing Time" dvd when she was 11 months. But she was really verbal, so there were only a handful of them that she did without also saying the word... With our second we're using the signs around her already (she's 7 months now), but I still don't want her to watch the dvds until she's older. I think the "signing time" especially the volumes for "baby" are really great, but I'm not an advocate of early tv, so we only let our daughter watch one episode every few days. It's definitely possible to do it without the shows...
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 1:20 PM on Apr. 5, 2009

• I started when dd was about 10 months showing her signs and she picked up on them pretty quickly to know what I was talking about, but didnt really start doing them herself until about 1 year, and really took off after that. Now she is 19 months and is starting to phase out the signs as she learns the words for them, but it is cute cause when we cant understand the word she gets all exasperated and shows us the sign too, and it is like, oh thats what she's saying.
    AK_aries

Answer by AK_aries at 11:25 AM on Apr. 5, 2009

• my youngest had more,juice,milk,eat and ow down by 7 months i just used them as soon as they were able to have moderate control of there hands like able to pick up cherrios.its a great thing for them to be able to tell you what they want,,,,more was my sons favorite he wanted more of everything LOL
    drivnkids

Answer by drivnkids at 12:08 PM on Apr. 5, 2009

• a dear friend of mine recently started and her baby is arounbg 6 months. Will she process it all , no, will she mimic yet? prolly not but just like a hearing child picks up what we say, babies will absorb the signs too. Liek I said the other posters are right about the ages they mimic and retain more, but if it were me, I would be signing the whole time, who knows how their lil brains process it? Maybe if you start now at 9-10 months she will just take off and know a few already. ;o) good luck.
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 1:37 PM on Apr. 5, 2009

• i started as soon as she was born, of course she didn't know what I was doing at first but it became so natural for me. She just turned 5 months 2 days ago and she started signing milk & eat at 4 months!
    madre710

Answer by madre710 at 3:07 PM on Apr. 5, 2009

• I heard to start at 6 months if possible. Work on about 4 words at a time.
    julipickle2

Answer by julipickle2 at 4:00 PM on Apr. 5, 2009