We all know...

That most Christian traditions and symbols were and are pagan... So how can you feel that it's the "Christian" thing to do? Santa, EasterBunny, Cupid, Eggs, All things halloween... and the list goes on... We all know that these things started as pagan traditions.

Since I can't picture Jesus dnacing around a MayPoll or decorating a tree, because he would have seen them as pagan symbols, how can people that are suposed to be following in his footsteps do these things and NOT see them as wrong??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:20 PM on Apr. 5, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I think you are really showing your ignorance. Those symbols you have mention are not representation of Christianity whatsoever. Easter is a day allowed by Constantine to celebrate the resurrection of Christ. It is the day we use not the symbols. The only symbols we use is the cross to represent the victory we now have over sin due to his death burial and resurrection.

Anonymous

• I just had to chuckle at your jesus dancing around the maypole comment. Maybe he did and that was just left out of the bible too, along with other events that happened during and before christ's time. who knows?

Anyway, I know that there are some christians who don't celebrate halloween, so their kids can't dress up. Or Christians who will simply avoid the Easter Bunny. It's a personal religious decision. If a parent wants to allow a child in simple innocence to partake in those activities, while instilling in their child's mind their own personal convictions and the stories behind their religious celebrations I see no wrong in that. I'm not christian, but i have christian friends who do see santa with their kids and take part in egg hunts.

there should be no finger-pointing but, as always i'm sure someone will find that behavior is "sinful" or against God's will. Once again, PERSONAL religious decsion.
    CinderAmethyst

Answer by CinderAmethyst at 12:32 PM on Apr. 5, 2009

• CinderAmethyst. I do not think Jesus danced around a Maypole for he came to conquer all false religion and show the true way to salvation.
    mommiejay453

Answer by mommiejay453 at 12:36 PM on Apr. 5, 2009

• I think it's like the passage about "Eating Food Sacrificed to Idols"
    Some Christians didn't becuase the felt is was like paying homage to or giving creedance to these idols - The foood was sacrificed to a false god and they wanted nothing to do with it. Which is great for them. it's their conviction.

Some Christians did eat the food sacrificed to idols because idols and false gods are not real and therefore it means nothing to them to sacrifice food to somehting that dooesn't exist. It is food that God created for humans to eat/enjoy. and that is great for them. that's their conviction.

God created eggs and rabbits and trees and star and seasons (these things belong to God and were His before the pagans decided to use them as their symbols) and we are to praise Him and give him the glory.

Kiter

Answer by Kiter at 1:13 PM on Apr. 5, 2009

• Romans 14-
    vs 5. One person esteems one day above another; another esteems every day alike. Let each be fully convinced in his own mind. [6] He who observes the day, observes it to the Lord; and he who does not observe the day, to the Lord he does not observe it. He who eats, eats to the Lord, for he gives God thanks; and he who does not eat, to the Lord he does not eat, and gives God thanks.

14-17- I know and am convinced by the Lord Jesus that there is nothing unclean of itself; but to him who considers anything to be unclean, to him it is unclean. Yet if your brother is grieved because of your food, you are no longer walking in love. Do not destroy with your food the one for whom Christ died. Therefore do not let your good be spoken of as evil; for the kingdom of God is not eating and drinking, but righteousness and peace and joy in the Holy Spirit.
    Kiter

Answer by Kiter at 1:16 PM on Apr. 5, 2009

• Romans 14: 18 For he who serves Christ in these things[e]is acceptable to God and approved by men.
    19 Therefore let us pursue the things which make for peace and the things by which one may edify another. 20 Do not destroy the work of God for the sake of food. All things indeed are pure, but it is evil for the man who eats with offense. 21 It is good neither to eat meat nor drink wine nor do anything by which your brother stumbles or is offended or is made weak.[f] 22 Do you have faith?[g] Have it to yourself before God. Happy is he who does not condemn himself in what he approves. 23 But he who doubts is condemned if he eats, because he does not eat from faith; for whatever is not from faith is sin.
    Kiter

• The only symbols we use is the cross

aka an ankh or a Thor's hammer or a pillar of Irmin. If he died today, would everyone wear little electric chairs?
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 1:38 PM on Apr. 5, 2009

• Amen Kiter!
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 1:42 PM on Apr. 5, 2009

• If one wears black to display thier interest in evil and darkness and I choose to wear black one day does that mean I also interest in evil and darkness? You make what you want of things.......I just look thinner in black.
    deedee3849

Answer by deedee3849 at 1:53 PM on Apr. 5, 2009

• You don't know what jesus did, and I was just laughing at the thought and making a "hypothetical" comment. Nobody KNOWS what actually happened when jesus was around and I wasn't mocking your faith. Not sure if a fellow christian was the OP but I just thought when she made that comment it was funny. And if he was around I'd be more than Happy to dance with him around my maypole he seems like he was a good person. :)
    CinderAmethyst

Answer by CinderAmethyst at 1:58 PM on Apr. 5, 2009