How can I get my son to listen to me? He hears me, but doesn't care. I dont spank him so what do i do..

He also has adhd. I really don't like putting him on the medicine, but it works I believe. He really is a very sensative child and great one when I am not around. ty all..

Havenite

Asked by Havenite at 1:02 PM on Apr. 5, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• my boys all have ADD/ADHD.
    we use lots of structure and schedules they can rely on- so they know what is expected, etc.
    and we use diet modification (no artifical colors/flavors).

And when I tell them something, making eye contact AND skin contact- touching their shoulder or head or something. andhave them repeat it.
    and at that age- they can often only handle 1-2 step directions. (and "pick up your room" is about a 10-step thing....)

Kiter

Answer by Kiter at 1:24 PM on Apr. 5, 2009

• I wish I knew the answer to this question. My daughter's almost 4 and I rarely spank her unless it's warrented. I worry about what it's going to be like for her this September when she goes to school. She NEVER picks up her toys and I feel like a nag. I don't know how to get her to listen. She listens to her grandmother perfectly, but with me it's like, "I can't hear you!!!" So annoying!!!!!!!
    lilangel2505

Answer by lilangel2505 at 2:03 PM on Apr. 5, 2009

• Toys and treats are priveledges he can earn by listening to you and doing what he is told. My 8yo (ADHD) loses his nintendo DS privledge, bike privledge, candy privledge, etc. if he does not obey. By not listening he is getting some kind of reward from you. Negative attention can become a reward if there is not enough positive attention! Make sure when you are getting the results you want that you praise him. Don't overdo it but a high five and a thank you is plenty.
    Anonymous