What makes you think that low-income families don't have the same opportunities as middle-income families?

Same opportunities:
If a Low-Income family wants to buy a home they get low-income family grants
If a Low-Income family can't pay the rent they get section-8
If a Low Income family can't afford their children college they get low-income student grants
If a Low Income family can't buy groceries they get food stamps.

Can anybody established any difference between this two classes?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:15 PM on Apr. 5, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I think when people say stuff like the poor don't have opportunities it is bs! My mom has a big old 8th grade education, dad graduated HS. That was it. My dad started out working in Mail rooms mom cleaned other peoples houses. They worked hard never took a hand out no welfare, no food stamps, no medical cards. They lived within their means. Because they worked hard they were able to save for a house, put us kids through private school and eventually my mom got to quit her job when my dad got a better one. So they went from dirt poor teen parents to living a nice life. Because they worked hard to get there. Nobody gave them squat! Things are the way they are because people don't work for anything like that anymore. I know people on welfare that have more than me and then they bitch cause they can't pay and electric bill but they just take it to welfare and they pay for it while they enjoy the xbox.

babyfat5

Answer by babyfat5 at 5:18 PM on Apr. 5, 2009

• IMO- MOST lower class families take what they can get and dont spend their resources wisely. It's more like a state of mind then anything. Middle class families take the help when they need it, spend their resources wisely, take care of what they have and strive to be better and no longer need assistance. That's why it's called "class."
    Anonymous

• Thank you anon 1:20 op
    Anonymous

• If a No-Income family wants to buy a home they get low-income family grants
    If a No-Income family can't pay the rent they get section-8
    If a No Income family can't afford their children college they get low-income student grants
    If a No Income family can't buy groceries they get food stamps.

If a Low-Income family wants a home they are denied. If they can't pay the rent they are evicted. If they can't afford college they can get their kid some loans, but only if they scrape up enough in cash or scholarships to cover the ECF. If they can't buy groceries, they make too much for FS so they eat ramen until they learn how to shop frugally and cook from scratch.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 1:23 PM on Apr. 5, 2009

• I don't think that at all.We all have the same opportunities to succeed.Does not mean we all will though and I do not think just because some won't that they deserve it all handed to them.Or that those who have must be responsible for them.As for chairty no problem with it I encourage those who have to give to a charity(s) of their choosing.
    I think those incapable due to age or disabilities is another story.
    Those who just need a temp help fine but for cropes sake don't advocate spreading socialism to the point it washes out peoples will to climb that ladder.
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 1:23 PM on Apr. 5, 2009

• tnmomofive

"Those who just need a temp help fine but for cropes sake don't advocate spreading socialism to the point it washes out peoples will to climb that ladder."

Thank you op
    Anonymous

• OP, if you are asking this question, there is no real way to educate you on the social/ economic issues involved. You don't want an answer, you want people to stroke you for being born lucky. Are you really so uneducated that you are not aware of how society works? Try a sociology 101 class at your local college.
    stacymomof2

Answer by stacymomof2 at 1:31 PM on Apr. 5, 2009

• Personally, for me, I can from a poor family with a low educational level. I love my mom to death-but she didn't know the first thing about trying to send me to college-or even pushing me to go. College was something that I decided on my own and I will be the first of my family to have a college education and a career.

When we moved to Ohio, my mom was too proud to go and get PA-I wish she had but she didn't. She also didn't feel the need to fill out the low income lunch paper work and my brother and I sat many days in the lunch room with nothing to eat. We were evicted from many places and lived in cars and went without. I ate once a day and thought that that was normal.

After high school-I didn't have any guidance other than to find a job and figuring out FAFSA and what to do with myself was a challenge. Especially when surrounded with an unsupported enviroment. I knew that I wanted to go to school....(cont below)
    JennRN09

Answer by JennRN09 at 1:31 PM on Apr. 5, 2009

• Yep some obviously would have to work harder at becoming successful then some others.Does not mean it is impossible or cannot be done.
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 1:34 PM on Apr. 5, 2009

• And I had to figure it all out. My mom asked me why I felt that I needed to go to college-my response-I didn't want to be poor. My childhood was rough to say the least. Our society is set up in a way that poor kids like me can get an education-although I don't agree with the federal rules as to who is declared independent and dependent-but if I can do it and become something other than a statistic-so can a lot of people.

I think that these programs that help people to be/do more are great, what saddens me is the people who sit on these programs and don't move forward.

FYI-we don't get assistance-we don't qualify, we don't have health insurance.
    JennRN09

Answer by JennRN09 at 1:35 PM on Apr. 5, 2009