ODD and Autism?

ok so I have heard of adhd...but, what exactly is ODD? and What and how is a kid with Autism? I mean how do they act are they slower than most or what ? I dont actually know what it is...i'm curious.

alc03

Asked by alc03 at 1:23 PM on Apr. 5, 2009 in Kids' Health

• I think ODD is a misnomer . My boys have autism/ADHD/Sensory Disorders, etc. my youngest 'looked like' ODD (Oppositionl Defiance Disorder).

I think it is a manifestation of their trouble with sensory input and not knowing how to cope with it. I think ODD is a 'symptom/behavior' of these other things, not a disorder on it's own.

but those are just my personal opinions as a parent of children with sensory disorders that had pretty much all of the O.D.D. traits- and as a person with senory diiosders myself that know how it feels and how our brains respond to what we feel when we have sesnory disorders
    Kiter

Answer by Kiter at 1:30 PM on Apr. 5, 2009

• you can go to the autism website and learn a lot of information. I think it's www.autismspeaks.com and you can google the other information so that you don't get the wrong information.
    From what I understand Autistic people are highly intelligent, it's more of a social skill thing, depending on what level they have (Rain Man was autistic I believe)
    lisa_ann_p

Answer by lisa_ann_p at 7:23 PM on Apr. 5, 2009

• My son has autism. He is 8 and has never spoken a word.He doesnt make eye contact. If I get in his face to try to get him to look at me he looks away as fast as he can and closes his eyes. He likes to spend alot of his time spinning things like the lids to my pans. He likes to swing. He watches the same movies over and over again. He likes to feel the texture of fabrics on his nails, he scratches my couch very slowly. He doesnt understand sarcasm or rudeness. He knows how to get himself a bowl of cereal, which he LOVES, but if you ask him what does he like to eat he doesnt know what you mean. He is the most special person Ive ever met! Everyone loves to be around him! His smile will light up the room and he thinks its the funniest thing in the world to see his mom and dad on the swings haha With everything you ever hear about autism never forget that these kids are so very special. They Do have feelings and they are AWESOME!!!
    JenniferDeegan

Answer by JenniferDeegan at 12:40 AM on Apr. 16, 2009