Is there anyone who doesn't believe in letting the infant "cry it out" method of sleeping?

My son doesn't go to sleep early but he does get at least 12 hrs in one full day. I let him sleep or nap when he needs to b/c otherwise he gets really cranky. I'd rather have a happy baby then let him cry it out. Plus our crib is in our bedroom and crying it out will not work with hubby's schedule. My son is 6 months old now. My mom thinks I'm letting him become the boss. I just feel how can you let a little baby cry until he falls asleep. What if he is sitting in a pile of cr*p.

mommylovesu28

Asked by mommylovesu28 at 1:25 PM on Apr. 5, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I think that no matter how you are with your child he or she will become the way that they are going to become no matter if you let them CIO o comfort them. I personally do not do the CIO, my child is over a yr now and i have notice that at 10 months old he started to lay down when he was tired instead of crying which what will happen if you let the child CIO every time.. I think you should do wht you think is right. :) good luck hoped this helped.
    Anonymous

• Check in on him for your own piece of mind. If he not hungry and has a dry diaper let him cry you probably need a break. I could always tell by the tone of my babies cries if they were hungry or in pain etc. Eventually he will learn how to calm himself down. If you are constantly soothing him he will never learn.
    MACY7108

Answer by MACY7108 at 1:30 PM on Apr. 5, 2009

• Get a routine going. If you know about what time of day your son gets sleepy, make sure that he has played, ate, been changed and cleaned up (bath or washing him off) then have some quiet time for a little while before he should be going down for his nap. (My son loved soft music and I would dim the lights) I did not make my son sleep in one place for his naps. Sometimes he would fall asleep on his blanket in the floor or on the couch. It worked for us and today at 14 years old, he will still look for a place to take a nap when he is sleepy even if we are at a friend's house. LOL
    jacejenkins

Answer by jacejenkins at 2:06 PM on Apr. 5, 2009

• You do whatever feels right to you. I do not agree with the CIO method either. We had a hard time with dd when she was around 5 months but that was my fault because I did not have her on a routine. I started a routine with her and within a week she was sleeping through the night.
    lilbit837

Answer by lilbit837 at 2:10 PM on Apr. 5, 2009

• I honestly think it depends on the child if it works or not. My two boys have totally different personalities. With my oldest cio worked perfectly. My second, no such luck. The only way to get him sleep is to hold him or pat him to sleep, which sometimes takes awhile, but he goes to sleep. When we tried cio with him, he just cries and cries until he makes himself throw up. It is not worth it. My oldest is more easy going and calm. My second is more high strung, on the go nonstop. I really think that has to do with it. You know your child and what works best for him, don't worry about what others say.
    JamieLK

Answer by JamieLK at 2:33 PM on Apr. 5, 2009

• Comforting your BABY when he needs to be comforted is not letting him be the boss. That statement was plain dumb. A baby can't be the boss. They don't demand unnecessary things. They just have needs. Love, affection, and attention are all NEEDS. Letting a baby cry only teaches them that mom/dad are unreliable and won't come when baby needs. It doesn't make the baby independent. His trust is just broken. CIO has multiple negatives. It raises their stress levels to a dangerous high. So it has zero benefit with big risks. I certainly don't believe in it. It's pure neglect and lazy parenting. An infant is meant to be comforted to sleep. They wouldn't be crying if they didn't. No need to rush the detachment.
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 2:53 PM on Apr. 5, 2009

• i don't believe in letting child cry it out. I believe in giving them what they need and knowing that the child sometimes may need less and sometimes more.. but ultimately they look to us for protection and safety... how can they feel safe when we neglect their needs in favor of letting them cry it out. some docs say cio doesn't affect the child.. well i'd like to know how in the world they can know that since children don't speak and we know that even abused children still love parents and still get on with life. i would be too afraid that if i let my child cio that something terrible would happen and it would be my last memory of her. We never k now when the baby will die... why on earth would we be so unmerciful.
    Aasiyah

Answer by Aasiyah at 3:02 PM on Apr. 5, 2009

• I have 3 children, and a fourth on the way. I have never done CIO w/ any of them, and don't plan on it either. It doesn't feel right to me at all, and my kids sleep just fine.
    sarahmae3

Answer by sarahmae3 at 3:15 PM on Apr. 5, 2009

• I don't understand when rocking your baby to sleep became such an "inconvenience" b/c you have "too much to do". what a bunch of sh*t. CIO is horrible, lazy and abusive. Ya, I said it abusive...of course theyre gonna fall asleep "eventually"...theyre exhausted. CIO does NO good for the baby or the parent...and it just makes me sick to hear that babies actually vomit from crying so hard...why become a parent?? This isn't about convenience. Its about an innocent helpless human that NEEDS to feel the comfort of his parent, not left to fend for himself in a big empty space. And don't give me that crap about "as long as he is dry and full then he's fine"...oh spare me the lazy BS.....My baby falls asleep NEXT to me EVERY nite and is completely content and has never and will NEVER cry herself to sleep!! She will always feel the comfort of mommy or daddy.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 3:45 PM on Apr. 5, 2009

• Oh and here's a quote from the book, "the No cry sleep solution"...He awakes in a mindless terror of the silence, the motionlessness. he screams. he is afire from head to foot with want, with desire, with intolerable impatience. he gasps for breath and screams until his head is filled and throbbing with the sound. he screams until his chest aches, until his throat is sore. he can bear the pain no more and his sobs weaken and subside. he listens. He opens and closes his fists. He rolls his head from side to side. Nothing helps. it is unbearable. He begins to cry again, but it is too much for his strained throat: he soon stops. He waves his hands and kicks his feet. he stops, able to suffer, unable to think, unable to hope. he listens. Then he falls asleep again......
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 3:49 PM on Apr. 5, 2009