was it labor or not

im a first time mommy and 39 weeks and 1 day and last night i had contractions 20 mins to 5min then after the 5 min one i had another one 20 min from that now today i have not had any so was that not labor or what

whitneysgirl19

Asked by whitneysgirl19 at 1:34 PM on Apr. 5, 2009 in Pregnancy

• It sounds lke you were having "practice" contractions, or Braxton Hicks as they are called. You may do this many times before actually going into labor.
    jamesmommy12

Answer by jamesmommy12 at 1:45 PM on Apr. 5, 2009

• u will know when you are having actual labor contractions - I am too a first time mom, I actually just had my baby on april fools day - & the "contractions" i thought were labor - were nothing compared to my actual labor contractions & it got to the point where i didnt even have to time them, they were that close together - It will stay in a pattern - & gradually get closer together - I had the "irregular" ones a couple days prior to going into labor & the night before i was contracting eight minutes apart but some were irregular - Than at three thirty in the morning, mine started for real..... it woke me up out of a dead sleep & it got gradually closer together and kinda worse......
    good luck though - sounds like u could go soon!
    kwiseman19

Answer by kwiseman19 at 2:29 PM on Apr. 5, 2009

• if it stopped then no it wasnt .
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 3:05 PM on Apr. 5, 2009