How do you get baby out of the habbit of night feedings?

Mine is going on 7months and i'm told he shouldn't still be waking up in the middle of the night to eat.... is this true?

Asked by Orangeleopard02 at 1:26 PM on Jun. 20, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Rowan still nurses probably twice at night, sometimes more, it just depends on how she's feeling. She also still sleeps with me though. Sully was is his crib at 6 months and he ate once a night, and Asha was in her crib at 4 months, and she ate every 2 hours like clockwork, for the whole 14 months she nursed. Night, day, no matter, every 2 hours, nursing time. Their pediatrician never had a problem with it, because all babies have different needs. She explicitly told me (as has all my research) that cereal or other food will not make them sleep any longer, that will only happen when they are biologically ready.
    If I woke up hungry in the middle of the night, I'd get up and have a glass of water, or milk, or if I was really hungry, a small snack. My children have those same rights.

Answer by MommyLady at 12:28 PM on Jun. 23, 2008

• yeah my little one was still doing that at 7 months too--at least twice a night. Just a few weeks ago, I moved him from my bed into his crib, and he's doing much better. I think my hubby and I were waking him up when we turned over and stuff.....or maybe it was the hubby's snoring. He's much happier now that he's getting more sleep at night. good luck!

Answer by sbailey at 1:36 PM on Jun. 20, 2008

• my daughter is 10 months old and she still wakes up a couple times to eat. Her doctor knows and he says it is fine. she is consistent with her feedings and i wont starve her in the middle of the night if she is hungry.

Answer by amdeetuemama at 1:58 PM on Jun. 20, 2008

• I stopped the night feeding by putting him in his own room & when he would wake up at 3:00am like he always did, I wouldn't go in and get him right away. He never really cried, but I would let him fuss for a while & see if he would out himself back to sleep or not. He fussed for about 5 minutes, and would go back to sleep until about 7. It took about a week, then he stopped waking up at 3. My pedi told me he was most likely waking up at that time out of habit, not bc he was hungry. That seemed to be true for C. Hope that helps.

Answer by LilCsMommy at 3:10 PM on Jun. 20, 2008

• If what LilCsMommy said doesn't work..then you can wait 10 to 20 min when your LO typically wakes up and then feed him after you wait. Wait longer and longer and eventually you'll not have a night feeder anymore! :)

Answer by schmoo_mommy at 4:30 PM on Jun. 20, 2008

• my ped told me to add cereal to my sons bottle to get rid of the night time feeding. And that worked wonders. He has been sleeping through the night since 4-5 months old!

Answer by pchef_nicole at 9:06 PM on Jun. 20, 2008

• No, all kids are different. I have 4. You have to do what's best for you and your baby. If he seems to wake up alot, I would feed him a good, filling meal before bed like oatmeal etc, etc...and see if that begins to help and try a water bottle instead of milk if he wakes up.

Answer by asmith62877 at 9:52 PM on Jun. 20, 2008