how do u potty train a boy quick, i want it done by this summer lls

he is 2 and he does not listen and wont sit still

forgivingmom

Asked by forgivingmom at 1:40 PM on Apr. 5, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• he will do it when he is ready. You cannot dorce it, or put a timeline on it and 2 is a lil young. It would be nice tho huh? lol If you try to force him , trust me as a mom of a boy, it will just take longer. Try to encourage him and be proud if he even sits there. Maybe let hijm see dad doing it, talk to him about what the potty is for and stuff. At 2 1/2 my son showed interest for about 2 days and then didnt want anything to do with it until he was 3 and then he just one day decided he was done with diapers, he was 3 yrs and 3 days lol. He just wnted the potty and the big boy underwear and never looked back. be patient mom, he'll get it when hees ready.
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 1:43 PM on Apr. 5, 2009

• I have a 2 yr old and 4 yr old boy and the one thing that you can't do is rush it. My youngest will be 3 in june and he's potty trained. Both of them were pretty easy. I put them in under wear during the day and just went with the flow. :) If they had an accident-I asked them why they didn't use the potty. Eventually, accidents got few and far between and now he has none at all. I put him in a diaper at night and for the past 2 weeks he's woke up dry. So, I will be letting him sleep in his undies at night soon.
    JennRN09

Answer by JennRN09 at 1:45 PM on Apr. 5, 2009

• You simply cannot decide when your child will be trained. This is up to each individual child and if you push it when he isn't ready, it WILL backfire on you. Most boys don't train until they are 3 years old. If he isn't interested in it and won't sit still, he isn't ready. Wait awhile and try again.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 1:48 PM on Apr. 5, 2009

• The best thing to do would be to start now... with my son I'd give him a big cup of chocolate milk (his very favorite drink) and about 30-45 minutes later I'd have him sit on the potty til he went. I gave him popsicles or suckers while he was on the potty. After he figured out what he was supposed to do on the potty, Every 20 minutes I'd ask him if he needed to go to the bathroom, and every 90 minutes or so we would make a trip to the bathroom. I am a SAHM so I took diapers away almost completely (with the exception to when we were out, he was terrified of public toilets for the longest time). When he would start to tinkle, he would feel it and go to the training potty and if he didn't stop, I made him clean up his accident. I had him day time potty trained in about three months.
    Crystal1124

Answer by Crystal1124 at 2:13 PM on Apr. 5, 2009

• Crystal...you made your newly potty training son clean up after he had accidents? That sounds like punishment, am I wrong? You're very lucky it didn't backfire on you.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 2:22 PM on Apr. 5, 2009

• Take a look at this (It's a permanent post on the "potty training moms" group on CM, which I recommend) : http://www.cafemom.com/journals/read/1182517/3_Day_Potty_Training
    The "3-day method" isn't as gimicky as it sounds. It's actually a method that was used more often when kids were typically trained by the age of 2. For us, it took more like a week, not 3 days. The basic gist is that you go straight to regular underwear and train really hard for a few days, rather than easing into it. My 19 month-old daughter did so great. She's 22 months now and still totally trained... she has an accident about once or twice a month. Definitely read some of the other posts by women doing this method. Let me know if you have any questions.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 3:23 PM on Apr. 5, 2009

• What's the reason for the rush?
    AutmnDreams

Answer by AutmnDreams at 3:54 PM on Apr. 5, 2009

• I hate to tell you this... but it really does not matter what you want. You can not force him to pee or poop. There is no magic button on his body that you can push to make him sit on the potty and actually, voluntarily release pee or poop into the potty. He has total and absolute control over that.

All you can do is offer him the chance to learn. But the more you force the issue, the more stress he feels, the more you try to hold him on the potty, the less willing he will be.

Put aside what YOU want and work with him. Go at his pace. You'll both be happier.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 4:24 PM on Apr. 5, 2009

• it was a joke about the summer thing lls mean laughing like shit. but it would be nice. I am totally tired of changing shit. it really piss me off to hear him say mommy i am poopy after the fact
    forgivingmom

Answer by forgivingmom at 4:30 PM on Apr. 5, 2009

• I know this is a little unpopular, but I don't agree that you should entirely rely on your child's readiness signs to start. I'm not judging anyone who waits a long time to train because the child simply isn't interested, but I've had great success with a child who didn't show the "signs" and didn't really know much about the potty before we started. What can get tricky if you let the child dictate the process too much is that your child gets mixed messages about the desired outcome of the training. Check out this article on potty training that supports training on the "earlier" side: http://www.arcamax.com/parents/s-424024-717629
    All that said, there are "bad times" to start (when you're going through a major transition), there are kids who just aren't ready (debatable, but I would wait till 18 months at least), and there are certainly parents who aren't ready. But if these aren't the case, I say go for it.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 4:40 PM on Apr. 5, 2009