hand expressing milk while preg.. could this ruin my supply?

ok so i have engorged breasts right now, or a clogged milk duct. either way it is very painful. the only way i have seen so far that i am able to get some relief from it on my own is taking a hot shower and massaging my breasts to relieve some of the pressure and when i do that, i am getting a lot of colostrum out at the same time. im just wondering if by doing that i am going to affect the amount of milk i produce for her when she is born. does anyone know?

usmcgirl86

Asked by usmcgirl86 at 2:02 PM on Apr. 5, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I might ask my dr 1st. Depending on how far along you are and all. expressing milk can cause contractions...
    Anonymous

• i know it can cause contractions. im almost 38 weeks and im having a csection within 10 days.. i just wanna know if doing this can hurt my supply.. thats all im curious about.
    usmcgirl86

Answer by usmcgirl86 at 2:10 PM on Apr. 5, 2009

• I don't know about supply, but it can start labor.
    chillemi78

Answer by chillemi78 at 2:23 PM on Apr. 5, 2009

• I don't think so if anything it will increase your supply.
    Anonymous

• expressing milk tells your body it needs to make more at that time the next day to keep up supply. You might have almost made it worse on yourself before baby comes, lol. But not really, your supply should be good when baby gets here. I would ask your dr though if you think a duct is blocked incase it gets infected. The infection doesnt hurt the milk and baby will be able to breastfeed anyway. Its usually recommended if you are not having enough milk at a certain time of day to pump or express milk after baby is done becasuse it tells your body more milk is needed at that same time of day the next day. Going a few days without breastfeeding does the opposite, it will tell your body it is not all being used and to make less the next day. GL!
    lasombrs

Answer by lasombrs at 8:33 PM on Apr. 5, 2009