stay at home mom?

I have a one year old son and another baby on the way due this June. I work as a nurse and my husband owns his own insurance agency. He wants me to quit my job and stay at home with the kids. so heres my dilema I would love to stay at home but I am afraid of being lonely, bored or going crazy . I know that staying home would be best for the kids but how long should i plan on staying home?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:07 PM on Apr. 5, 2009 in Money & Work

• I think that lots of people think that they would be bored or go crazy. There is so much you can do with your kids outside of the home. The library has story times for all ages. Where I live we also have a newspaper called Central Penn Parent and it always list the activities going on in the area. See if your area has anything of the sort. Look on cafemom for a mom group on your area that does play dates and meet some other stay at home moms. I was a stay at home mom for 9 months, had to go back to pay off some bills and now come August baby #3 is due so I will be staying home again. One thing I really liked when I was home was that I could get housework done and then the weekend really were relaxing and family days.
    JamieLK

Answer by JamieLK at 2:18 PM on Apr. 5, 2009

• I suggest doing what you want when comes to your own comfort and happiness... yes, its nice to stay home with the kids and if you wanted to a good time to go back to work is when they are in school... Also I think its kinds rude for your husband to ask YOU to stay home when you could do it to, if he is so worried about you staying home with them.....
    soonmommyof3

Answer by soonmommyof3 at 2:19 PM on Apr. 5, 2009

• I don't think it's possible to be too bored with 2 kids under 2 yrs old....LOL

you can always find ways to get around lonely and bored. I think we choose to allow ourselves to be bored, etc and we can choose to not allow oursselves to be bored no matter that the circumstance.

I guesss stay at home until they are in school, but be home when they get home.

Kiter

Answer by Kiter at 2:19 PM on Apr. 5, 2009

• That's a personal decision to make with your spouse. For me I plan on staying home until all my kids are in school, and then I will go back to school during the day but be home when the kids get home.
    avpriddis

Answer by avpriddis at 2:20 PM on Apr. 5, 2009

• I would not pass up the oppotunity to raise your own children. The things you will miss while working you absolutely cannot buy back. If you take being a mother and homemaker seriously, you will have plenty to do and you will not get bored. If you get up each day, get dressed in real clothes (as opposed to wearing pajamas all day...ew!) and get to work, you will have a job that is a million ties more rewarding than anything else you could do. You will become the very heart of your home. Wife and Mother...that's my job and I love it!

TessaBianca

Answer by TessaBianca at 2:25 PM on Apr. 5, 2009

• I am a RN too and stay home. I have never been bored, never really have time to be bored. You sort of change how you think and the things you do. As my children have grown, i always studied nutrition and supplements and now i have a home based supplements business that i love. So maybe if you need some outlet that might be an avenue for you. Message me if you want info as to what i do.
    jmcan

Answer by jmcan at 6:07 PM on Apr. 5, 2009

• I'm a stay at home mom. I've worked off and on throughout my kids lives and I much prefer to be at home with them. My working depends on where the military sends us and how we are doing financially wherever we are at as well as daycare opportunities. I have not worked in over 5 years, since I was about 4 months pregnant with my daughter. My 2 boys are 10 and 11, so they go to school during the day from 8-230. My daughter is 4 and she goes to preschool from 800-1030 4 days a week. During those hours she is at school, I either get as much housework done as I can, or I take some quiet me time. When she gets home, we do classes at the YMCA twice a week (gymnastics and ballet). We play outside in the summer time, we spend time in the kitchen cooking together, she helps me with little chores around the house. When my boys get home, we have sports practices twice a week, homework, and they love to help me cook also. We keep busy!
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 6:45 PM on Apr. 5, 2009

• Being a stay at home mom isn't bad if you can find things to do to get you out around adults. Visit relatives with your child go to the park where you meet other moms and days. Sign your baby up for weekly classes it would benefit both of you. I went wall crazy when I first became a stay at home mom. Now I find things to do.
    ladyluck09

Answer by ladyluck09 at 7:53 PM on Apr. 5, 2009

• I say do whatever makes you happy... if being home is going to make you depressed, it's not worth it... being a SAHM is great sometimes, but it has it's ups and downs like anything else....

I love it, for the fact that i am with my son everyday and are actually here to see him... i however am starting to work again because we need the extra $$....

Your children will benefit greatly from you staying home...Do it for a while and see how you feel, if you miss work that much then just go back (part-time.. if thats even an option for a nurse)...

CONGRATS on the baby!! ♥
    JuLiAnSmOmMy317

Answer by JuLiAnSmOmMy317 at 8:27 PM on Apr. 5, 2009

• I don't think you will be bored! Maybe crazy! LOL! I stay home with my two kids that are 20 months and four months. I have never been bored, but tired, and lonely, and crazy best describe some of my days. It will take a while to get use to being home. I have always been a workaholic before I had kids so it was a big adjustment to stay home. If you feel like you need to do something productive start a home business and work on it during the kids naptimes. Thats what I do. I would suggest also getting involved with playgroup and fun things with other mommy and kids. Also make sure that you take a little time to do something for yourself everyday, whether it be a hobby,relax, or whatever. If you are looking for a business to help keep you busy here is an idea http://AmmyWilkins.MyWorldMoms.com
    zipitty

Answer by zipitty at 12:04 AM on Apr. 6, 2009