For moms on Food Stamps

What state are you in?
And how much does your family make per month?
Between my husband and I we only make $280 a week, and live in NJ and they are telling us that we make too much to qualify for any kind of assistance, health insurance included. This just seems obsured to me.

tiffers32788

Asked by tiffers32788 at 2:30 PM on Apr. 5, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• How many people in your house?
    JennRN09

Answer by JennRN09 at 2:34 PM on Apr. 5, 2009

• Eligibility Criteria
    Income eligibility criteria
    Net income limit for family of 31 $16,608/year (FY 2007)
    Gross income limit for family of 32 $21,588/year (FY 2007

I found this...so I think that you would qualify at 13000 a year-I would request another review.
    JennRN09

Answer by JennRN09 at 2:35 PM on Apr. 5, 2009

• well we live with my fiances family. so 6 ppl in a 3 bedroom house. but we pay all of our own expenses. Food, internet, phone, half electric, half water and sewer.
    tiffers32788

Answer by tiffers32788 at 2:35 PM on Apr. 5, 2009

• Ohhh, let me guess-they look at the "income of the household" don't they?

See, that isn't right. Because they are assuming that all income in the house goes to support the house-how can they assume that???
    JennRN09

Answer by JennRN09 at 2:36 PM on Apr. 5, 2009

• They'll count everyone. when my husband got medically discharged from the military we had to stay with my parents because we were homeless. I was 8 months pregnate and I didn't qualify for medicaid. The military would cover him for three months after his discharge but not me. I had to beg my college to let me move in early. Bless their hearts... Good luck, I probably wasn't much help. there's usually a government website you can look at all the requirements yourself. I'm not sure what New Jersey's would be but you could probably type New Jersey foodstamps or medicaid and it might take you to the site
    Marchal

Answer by Marchal at 2:48 PM on Apr. 5, 2009

• i live in mass and i get 335 a month in food stamps for me and my son i knwo that once you work like 20 hours a week and min wage they cut your food stamps BUT you qualify for wic till you are like upper middle class so try them they provide milk chese peanutbutter and cereal and if you little one is really little then formula too so look in to that it should help ease the budget crunch
    jajamama

Answer by jajamama at 3:25 PM on Apr. 5, 2009

• NC
    $352.00 a week income.
    Family of 5.
    We receive food stamps. Ask for a review of your case.
    Anonymous

• OR
    about $900/month
    family of 3
    $392/month FS
    Anonymous

• I'm wondering if maybe you made a mistake in the paperwork- sometimes they ask for things in weird terms... example, they might have wanted things in a month, and you put in a year, or they asked for things in biweekly, and you put month.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 4:16 PM on Apr. 5, 2009

No, the paper work does ask if anyone else in the household works or has income. She does because they live with her family. That is what unqualifies them.
    JennRN09

Answer by JennRN09 at 4:37 PM on Apr. 5, 2009