What do you think of HomeBirthing?

Okay I'm having a fairly high risk pregnancy with many issues and it is suspected that my son will be stuck in breach due to a bicornate and I'm not the best at tolerating pain, but if he isn't breech and I make it through the pain what do you think of me home birthing, I know this is a huge decision and to ass this in I live less than 5 minutes away from hospital and I am within rock throwing distance of the fire station? So tell me and be honest and brutal what do you think, and if you home birthed what was your experience?

momof4520

Asked by momof4520 at 2:54 PM on Apr. 5, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Modern medicine has turned pregnancy into an illness that MUST be treated in a hospital, with surgery if possible, is their view. A regular pregnancy is NOT an illness and does not need any "fixing". HOWEVER, there most certainly is a need for immediate medical care available during a high-risk pregnancy and delivery. If there is the slightest risk to you or your baby, plan on delivering at the hospital, better safe than sorry. When thing go good, they go very, very good, but when go bad, results can be tragic.
    Anonymous

• I think that if you are having a high risk pregnancy there is no reason at all that you should try to birth at home. If the pregnancy was normal and the doctor gave you the ok I would say go ahead. But I think that there are so many risks involved with home birth.... so many things that could go wrong.... that I know I personally wouldnt recommend it.
    Is this your first child?
    If so and you say you dont tollerate pain well then I would suggest you just go to the hospital.

Now im not saying you have to go as soon as you go into labor.... you can just labor at home and go to the hospital when you feel it is the right time.... since you live so close. I always wait as long as possible before I go to the hospital! But I also have really long labors... first was 28 and the second was 25. So there are a lot of factors to add in.
    But talk to your doctor first and see what he thinks....
    Good Luck :-)
    mommyof_2boyz

Answer by mommyof_2boyz at 3:02 PM on Apr. 5, 2009

• I agree since it is high risk you should not do it at home even though you live so close.
    fairyinabubble

Answer by fairyinabubble at 3:09 PM on Apr. 5, 2009

• yes since its high risk, i think its ridiculous to even have that thought. second, my daughter was head down as soon as she was supposed to be, stayed that way til my 38 wk appt. then BAM she went breech and didn't go back. i wouldn't risk it girl. be safe, and just go to the damn hopsital :)
    ashcoyle

Answer by ashcoyle at 3:13 PM on Apr. 5, 2009

• I'm confused on why you consider yourself high risk? Because you could have a breech baby? There is nothing high risk about breech in an of itself (even tho insurance companies are now *forcing* automatic c-sections for breech....you need to do your own research on this!)

The vast majority of births are not high risk and homebirth is, in fact, the safer choice for most women. For high risk births, however, this is why hospitals and OBs exist...to mitigate those risks and to be on watch should the need arise.

If you are indeed high risk, you need to be at the hospital....I'm just wondering if you have been told you are high risk when you are not really? Remember that OBs are trained surgeons - they are trained for the pathology of childbirth and not physiological birth (an unhindered birth allowed to progress naturally). Most OBs have never seen an unhindered birth and will err on the side of caution and pathology.
    Kid_Coach

Answer by Kid_Coach at 4:01 PM on Apr. 5, 2009

• I agree with Kid Coach and Anon... if your only reason for being high risk is a breech baby, then you really aren't high risk.
    Homebirth is statistically safer than a hospital birth for low risk women.
    Pregnancy is not an illness, not everything required medical intervention.
    You really have to look at your pregnancy and realize what you want out of it.
    Anonymous

• Okay I need to clarify why I am high risk, it's not just the breech factor thats just one of the terms of it, I have metabolic acidosis renal failure which means I have high C02 and low O2 levels and causes me to have breathing difficulty and it does cause renal failure if it's severe enough. I have had endometriosis for a very long time and have several areas where its covered in endometrium. I have not yet been diagnosed with pre E but it's in the cards iwth how my blood pressure has been acting. But to me a hoembirth would be a dream come true.
    momof4520

Answer by momof4520 at 7:17 PM on Apr. 5, 2009

• I am having a home birth. See if you can have a midwife attend. They would most likely bring O2 with them as a normal precaution. And if anything were to go wrong you could quickly and easily be transfered. And breech babies can be delivered at home, maybe not a transverse but just breech would be fine. Just takes more time and patience.
    lasombrs

Answer by lasombrs at 8:28 PM on Apr. 5, 2009

• This is going to take 2 answers lol. If you are 100% high risk then yes, you need to be in the hospital but don't think that because you have low pain tolerance means you need a doctor to help manage it. Last week I stubbed my toe and started BAWLING. I bumped into my coffee table this morning and DH though I broke something with how I was carrying on. However, I gave birth to my first child (only child so far) at home and unassisted. Pain tolerance means nothing if you have will power. I promise you that had I gone to the hospital I would have had an epidural. Why? Because it would have been there and the temptation would have been too much. Now, say for some reason my second child needs to be a hospital birth, I have proven to myself that I have the ability to do it without drugs so the temptation is no longer present.
    One way to find out exactly how high risk you are is to contact a home birth midwife and explain ...
    Lilbeamercomin

Answer by Lilbeamercomin at 11:58 PM on Apr. 5, 2009

• ... your situation. She will tell you right then if you are too high risk for a home birth. True Pre E is more than just high blood pressure. I would suggest you read up on it and learn all you can about prevention. Dark chocolate can significantly reduce the chance of developing it. Altering your diet can help keep it at bay as well. Most of what I am finding about bicornate uterus states you have a higher chance of a premature birth. You could still plan for a HB in spite of this and just change plans in the event of premature labor. Also, breech babies are common with that abnormality but that's not a "complication" to a midwife. They are trained for breech so in their eyes it is just a variation of normal. That leaves the metabolic acidosis renal failure. This could keep a midwife from taking you on. However, I know absolutely nothing about it. I tried googling it but it made my head hurt. Call and ask a MW though.
    Lilbeamercomin

Answer by Lilbeamercomin at 12:15 AM on Apr. 6, 2009