What works best for transitioning to a toddler bed?

DD has got to come out of her crib. It has become a safety issue. She was getting stuck in the rails and has tons of bruises on her legs from it. Should I take the crib out completely or leave it up in case she freaks out with the toddler bed? How do I get her to like it and feel safe. It has the rails on it too.

ZaTa

Asked by ZaTa at 3:15 PM on Apr. 5, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Set up her new bed and take down the crib. Don't give her a choice, it will only make it harder (in some cases).

For the most part, it's "out of sight, out of mind".

Set up the bed in the morning and have her nap in the bed, then put her to bed that night. Follow the same routines you usually follow, don't alter them. (no reason to)

My oldest two went right to sleep that night with no trouble at all. My youngest we spent two weeks putting back, putting back, putting back, putting back, etc.

If you leave the crib up, more than likely she WILL freak out because her crib is on the other side of the room. Just make the switch and be done with it.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 3:39 PM on Apr. 5, 2009

• We haven't had to do it yet, but the advice I was given was to put both in the room for a short period of time (maybe a week), and let her get used to the idea of it, talk about the transition that's about to come, let her sit in it, etc. Then, the day you decide to make the switch, you take out the crib and put it away. If she gets out of it, you don't say anything, just put her back in. Over and over and over. Apparently they eventually get it and stay put. But make sure her room is totally baby-proofed first. Some moms put up a baby gate rather than shutting the door, if that makes you feel more comfortable. Good luck!
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 3:27 PM on Apr. 5, 2009

• When you make the switch, get rid of the crib. Make sure her crib comfort items (blankie, stuffed animal, whatever) are in the new bed and if you need to, get some character bedding.

I'm not a fan of character bedding but my twins have really warmed up to these Thomas blow up beds for traveling that we got so I went ahead and got them Thomas bed spreads. They sleep in/on them in their cribs for now but in a few weeks (as soon as DH gets his butt in gear) we're converting the cribs to toddler beds (I'd rather just do twin beds but DH is a little nervous about it).

twinclubmom

Answer by twinclubmom at 5:49 PM on Apr. 5, 2009

• I agree! Defintely get rid of the crib at the same time. It might be helpful to make a day of it, taking down the 'baby' bed, putting in the 'big kid' bed, going to the store for 'big kid' sheets/bedding. It depends on how sensitive your child is, she might be very excited but she might be nervous/freaked about the change. I would spend extra time in the bedroom that day, playing around the new bed so that it becomes more familiar. If your child is more sensitive, it might be better to move everything (sheets, quilt, etc) to the new bed so that everything is more familiar. I would also be sure to put the new bed in the same spot the crib used to be in so that the view is the same ( sounds silly but I always get disoriented after moving my bed to a new spot).
    If she freaks with the new bed, be very sweet and understanding, but firm. She HAS to use the new bed. She will be okay, and get used to it before you know it. :)
    Norest4mommy

Answer by Norest4mommy at 1:00 AM on Apr. 6, 2009