flu bug

My 2 yr old ds has the flu poor guy. This is our first flu. He can't keep anything down. Is there anything to give him to settle his tummy? Any advice to get him thru this better?

michiganmommy11

Asked by michiganmommy11 at 3:38 PM on Apr. 5, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I wouldn't worry about food unless he says he's hungry. You can try pedialyte or diluted apple juice. The important thing is keeping hydrated. If he keeps that down you can try saltines or dry cheerios. No dairy until his stomach's totally settled. I wouldn't even try soy milk because that stuff smells SO disgusting when it comes back up. I'd put in a call to your doc and at least talk with the nurse, just in case.
    Poor guy. I just got over the flu and I had even had the flu shot. No fun at all!
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 3:46 PM on Apr. 5, 2009

• The flu shot is for influenza...respiratory, not a stomach bug.

When he throws up, don't give him anything for 2 hours. If he goes for 2 hours without throwing up, give him a couple ounces of WATER. If that stays down for about 10 minutes, give a couple more ounces and wait for 10 minutes. If that stays down, try 4oz and wait for 20, then repeat that step. If after the end of an hour, the WATER has stayed down, then let him have a bit more as tolerated. If, at any time, he vomits again start over again.

Once he is drinking water regularly and it's been about 6 hours since he last threw up, give him something bland (toast maybe) to eat and see how that goes.

The key is to let the stomach rest so what you put in it doesn't come right back up. While he's throwing up, stick to water only.

This is what our pediatrician has us do and the boys usually only throw up once or twice since I started doing this. Adults, too!
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 6:39 PM on Apr. 5, 2009