endoscopy

Has anyone ever had one? I am going to have to have one because I keep getting very nauseas and I have tried OTC and been to the doctor who gave me probiotics which helped for awhile but now the old familiar nausea is back.

Sunfires

Asked by Sunfires at 3:55 PM on Apr. 5, 2009 in Health

• Mine went ok.They give you Demerol and you're out.They place this plastic piece in your mouth to guide the scope.You gag quite alot as they bring it out,but you probably won't remember.The hardest part is recovering from anethesia,you feel funny for awhile.Think you have an ulcer or GERD?
    TMJ121099

Answer by TMJ121099 at 4:45 PM on Apr. 5, 2009

• I've had several because I have a medication condition I have and I found that recovering from the anethesia is the hardest. They'll prepare you and you go into a room and they hook you up to machines to monitor you during the procedure and then they knock you out.

A while later you wake up and I'm usually groggy but no headaches or nausa or anything. Never had a sore throat or anything like. Apparently I seem to be able to carry on conversations - but I remember nothing in the first few hours after I wake up. My husband always has to fill me in later what the doctor/nurse told us after the procedure because I have no memory of it - so you should have someone you trust there for that.

I didn't go to work for the day - really too foggy to accomplish much. You can't drive and shouldn't be expected to make any major decisions. I spent several hours napping and just laying on the couch to recover from the anethesia.
    eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 5:38 PM on Apr. 5, 2009

• IT WAS THE EASIEST TEST I HAD DONE. NO PROBLEMS OR SIDE EFFECTS. JUST FELT GROGGY ALL DAY AND TOOK LIKE TWO NAPS BEFORE BEDTIME. DONT WORRY, PIECE OF CAKE!!!
    Anonymous

• I have assisted with them, depending on your specialist, they may start an IV to sedate you, or even twilight you, or may just give you a pill form of a strong tranquilizer. We put all of our patients out for about an hour by IV, and performed the procedure. You may not be able to drive yourself home, but just take the day off and you'll be fine the next day. Hope it all goes well, these procedures are done every day in Gastroenterologist's offices and outpatient clinics.
    Anonymous