Bedtime/nap time, anyone have any ideas on how to make it easier?

My son hates taking naps and going to bed at night. He is an extreme night owl and has no problem staying up till 10. I put him to bed at 8 and sit with him for a while until he falls asleep. Normally for the first 30 minutes he's wrestling around and I'm trying to settle him, then the rest of the time is just him fighting sleep with his little teeth and nails. Anyone else having this problem, and if so does anyone have any tips?

TJs_Momma

Asked by TJs_Momma at 4:47 PM on Apr. 5, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I'd cut out the nap. The every night do the same thing in the same order. Like Eat supper, pick up toys, bath, brush teeth, put on PJ's, read a story, get a drink, go potty, hugs and kisses goodnight.
    Most kids thrive on routine. They soon learn what to expect. It helps their brain prepare for bedtime coming.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 5:09 PM on Apr. 5, 2009

• How old is he? Does he take two naps or one? What time does he wake in the morning? Need more info to really answer. Check out Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child by Dr. Marc Weissbluth.

My twins are 28 mos. They wake between 6:30 and 7 a.m., go down for a nap at 1p.m. and go to bed at 7p.m. (but by the time we've brushed teeth and read, it's more like 7:30).

Lately at nap time they've been messing around and not sleeping. They're definitely too young to drop the nap so I sit in the room in a rocking chair with my eyes closed. I tell them firmly to lie down and go to sleep. I say "shh" once or twice and then don't say anything. They're usually asleep within 15 minutes.
    Night time is usually not a problem. They've had the same routine since they were 6 mos old: dinner, bath, quiet play, brush teeth, get in cribs, I read to them, turn out the lights. We also use white noise at nap and bed time.
    twinclubmom

Answer by twinclubmom at 5:36 PM on Apr. 5, 2009

• my daughter is 21 months old.she wakes up around 8.sometimes earlier if we have early doc appts.i try to make her take a nap everyday at 1.most of the time she does it.only if she has a bottle.she dont have a bottle any other time exept nap time and bedtime.but..my only problem is if she wont take her nap, she fights me like crazy at night to go to sleep.normally she goes to sleep 8 or 830.but if she wont take her nap she goes to sleep 10 or 11. i have tried the not napping thing.didnt work for me but i hope you find a solution to your problem
    Anonymous

• It's all in their sleeping schedule and it's trained. I think a good schedule is waking between 6-7am then feed breakfast. 2 hours later they go down for a nap. Afternoon nap around12-1pm until 2:30/3 at the latest. Dinner at 5pm, bed at 6-7pm. If you want them in bed by 7 I suggest starting the process about 6:45pm. I rock or stand and move around while I sing 2-3 songs, then I lay my son down and whisper "nigh, nigh." Sometimes he lays right down and goes to sleep and sometimes he fusses for 1-5 min. and then falls asleep. Key is to walk away and don't go back in, unless they are really crying good.
    Anonymous

• i PUT MINE TO BED AT 10 BUT I'M A STAY AT HOME MOM..hE TAKES ON 2 HR NAP THRU THE DAY. i USUALLY GIVE BATH AND LET HIM WATCH CARTOON W/ A CUP OF MILK AND HES OUT W/IN A HALF HR.
    gavinsmoma

Answer by gavinsmoma at 9:13 PM on Apr. 5, 2009

• I have a boy who will be 2 in 10 days. I am going through the same thing right now. He wakes about 630. And by 1130 he is fussy and I can see he is ready for a nap. I lay him down but he gets back up and I put him back in bed. We do this for about an hour. And then he sees he isn't going to win. So he gives up and then he usually takes about a 2 or 3 hour nap and then goes to bed at 730. Bedtime is no problem. I hope this helps
    kevnlissa

Answer by kevnlissa at 12:35 PM on Aug. 26, 2009