Is it safe to give my 3 yr old, she's 35 lbs, 1/2 tsp of benadryl?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:51 PM on Apr. 5, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I give it to my dd. She is 3.5 and is about 37 lbs.
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 4:52 PM on Apr. 5, 2009

• The only time I will give him benadryl is if has ant bites or a bee sting. If he has a cold I will take him to the Dr. I see some parents giving their kids benadryl so, they will go to sleep. I think this is awful to give a child benadryl for that reason.
    goldielock37

Answer by goldielock37 at 5:32 PM on Apr. 5, 2009

• yes it is safe
    ZaTa

Answer by ZaTa at 5:41 PM on Apr. 5, 2009

• To goldielock37, well when I had no sleep for 48 hours because my twins have developmental and sensory problems, I also have a two year old and a husband that is ill, I became one of those "awful" parents. Don't judge until you have walked in someone else's shoes.

To the original poster, my peditrian recommended giving benadryl at about that age for my daughter's stuffyness.  Also try a humidifier and some sailen drops to loosen the mucus and then have them blow or suction it out with a bulb syringe.

teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 5:46 PM on Apr. 5, 2009

• My daughter has had sever dermatitis for her entire life. She has been taking Benadryl for three years. She is 3 and a half, I was told by my pediatrician to give it to her during outbreaks to stop the itching. I actually give her a full teaspoon of childrens benadryl liquid like my doc told me to. So I know for sure that it is safe.
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 5:59 PM on Apr. 5, 2009

• Thats what the doc told me to give my soon to be 3 year old she is 34 pounds she will be 3 on 21st
    mom2married7

Answer by mom2married7 at 6:04 PM on Apr. 5, 2009

• If you go to Dr. Sears' website, he has dosage charts by weight for different medications, including Benedryl.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 6:50 PM on Apr. 5, 2009

• you should check the label or ask the pharmicist or your doctor. always check with a professional before giving your child meds.also keep the meds out of her reach.:)
    Anonymous

• My son is 2 and half and my doctor told me to give him 1.5 teaspoons (he weighs 32 lbs)...but I only give him 1 which seems to be enough.
    Anonymous

• Yes! My daughter is 1 1/12 and 30 lbs. She has allergies so her doctor started her on regular bendryl. She takes a teaspoon
    mkrmomma1

Answer by mkrmomma1 at 11:09 PM on Apr. 5, 2009