What should I expect when getting labor induced?

I am going into the hospital tomorrow at 5 pm and they are going to do something to get my cervix to dilate and then they are inducing me Tuesday morning. I was just wondering what to expect?

Christie47

Asked by Christie47 at 4:57 PM on Apr. 5, 2009 in Pregnancy

• from what i hear painful contrqactions everyone i have talked to says being induced has harder contractions . i to am going to be induced on the 22nd . im hopeing she comes sooner on her own lol .
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 4:59 PM on Apr. 5, 2009

• They may put some medecine in your cervix to help it "ripen" then start the pitocen the next morning.
    jamesmommy12

Answer by jamesmommy12 at 5:00 PM on Apr. 5, 2009

• they will put you on iv drip called patossin (sp?) some things have diff name though.but it makes contractions start so that your cervix will dialate.sometimes it doesnt help though and they have to use something like a balloon cath to make your cervix open.its nothing bad though or anything to be worried about. your cervix couldnt do it on its own so it needs a lil help getting started.good luck
    Anonymous

• Okay, don't let anyone freak you out. Especially if they have never been induced. To me it just seems insensitive to give you an uneducated answer that will make you nervous!! I have been induced three times! I was just fine, In fact I like it better than the other way! The night before they soften you cervix. In the morning if you are dialated enough they will break your water. In my experience they did not use the pitocin every time. Just when it was needed. All it took was the water breaking. They are usually pretty good about respecting your need for pain meds when you need them. I honestly have given birth both ways and can say the contractions were no different than the others. When they put the gel in you cramp a lot for the first hour, then it's no big deal. You will be fine. Get excited! You get to meet your baby!
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 5:11 PM on Apr. 5, 2009

• Oh yeah, if they are starting you out the night before then you probably are gonna start with the prostagladin gel or the cervadil.
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 5:13 PM on Apr. 5, 2009

• Pain. That's the honest truth. Pitocin makes labor 10 times worse, get an epidural as soon as you can and save yourself the majority of the pain. I was induced once and had 2 c/s...the c/s and recovery were less painful than being induced.
    RenaeMom3277

Answer by RenaeMom3277 at 5:26 PM on Apr. 5, 2009

• I WAS INDUCED TWO WEEKS EARLY. THEY USED CYTOTEC ON MY CERVIX AND STARTED THE PIT DRIP A FRIDAY AFTERNOON AT 5. I DID NOT GIVE BIRTH UNTIL SUNDAY MORNING. I WOULD HAVE TO SAY THAT BEING INDUCED MAKES THE LABOR LAST LONGER SOMETIMES BUT I CANT SAY THAT THE PAIN WAS INTOLERABLE. DONT WORRY!!! THAT PAIN IS SOOO BEARABLE WITH AN EPIDURAL. I THINK THE WORRY OF THE UNKOWN IS THE WORST! GOOD LUCK!!!
    Anonymous

• I've been induced 2 times for medical reasons (first time was because my water started leaking at 30 weeks and at 32 weeks there wasn't enough fluid around the baby so I was induced. The second time was because I had pre-eclampsia) and it wasn't that bad. Yes, the contractions seemed a little more intense then my 3 deliveries where I went on my own but they weren't too intolerable.
    shanibug06

Answer by shanibug06 at 7:06 PM on Apr. 5, 2009

• Excrusiatingly painful contractions, being stuck in bed the majority of the time, a possible c-section and the possibility for many other complications.

I was induced an almost died giving birth to my daughter do to Cytotec (WHICH IS NOT FDA APPROVED for use pregnant) and Pitocin weakening my uterus and causing me to bleed out.

Inductions have risks to them. PLEASE fully educate yourself before having an induction. I'm not trying to scare you but I wish someone had told me this before I was induced.

Don't do it unless there is a 100% medical need to do so.
    Anonymous