Where to find a free dog..

We are looking for a German Shepard puppy or young dog. We are hoping to find one that is free. I am wondering where would be a good place to look? It seems like the papers do not have any good ads for any, and people are using the net now days to post ads and I thought that it would be a good place to look...

Neeters1

Asked by Neeters1 at 5:09 PM on Apr. 5, 2009 in Pets

• Go to all your vets offices and check out the bulletin boards, or if you have a local Tractor Supply store or farmer's co op, check out their bulletin boards, or even the groomers places.
    Anonymous

• Check to see if your local paper has a website. I found there are more classifieds on there than there are in the paper version. I continued to look for a while before I found what I was looking for. You have to have patience when you are looking for free. OH! FREECYCLE... you should have a local yahoo group that is freecycle where people post free stuff to give away.
    cat1622

Answer by cat1622 at 5:14 PM on Apr. 5, 2009

• definitely check out craigslist.org - you may not have a page specifically for your city/town unless it's on the big side, but it serves most bigger cities. There are a lot of people on their looking for good homes for pets! Good luck! If you lived in my town I'd say drive up and down the street a few times and you'd surely find a poor stray who needs a home! There are so many abandoned animals in most cities...
    stepmom929

Answer by stepmom929 at 5:28 PM on Apr. 5, 2009

• Check out Craigslist! There are lots of doggies on there!
    my_three_sons

Answer by my_three_sons at 5:52 PM on Apr. 5, 2009

• i got my dog off craigslist..be patient though..it took me 2 weeks to find my lucy
    tnteaton

Answer by tnteaton at 6:02 PM on Apr. 5, 2009

• Your local freecycle.org. :) There's always free pets on there.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 7:56 PM on Apr. 5, 2009

• Or the pound that has a small fee or another local shelter. If you are looking for a specific breed then it may take awhile. Call the local vets offices. Sometimes they know people looking to get rid of their pets too.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 8:04 PM on Apr. 5, 2009

• Craigslist has a lot. There has been a lot of shepards on there lately too. Just post an add also. Some people just look for wanted ads to be posted. If you need help doing it let me know, I post a lot on there.
    luvmybaby

Answer by luvmybaby at 8:15 PM on Apr. 5, 2009

• hey, I have noticed that a few people have been looking for new homes for thier dogs on freecycle, cause thier losing thier place to live and cant bring thier pets with them, I would go on thier and post a wanted add and see if you get any hits. Otherwise the humane socity is pretty expensive, they wanted $400.00 for a lab puppy. that was the one in coon rapids the one in golden valley might be cheaper, Or hey I got a idea. go to our north metro mom's group and message fire and ice. she resuce animals I belive and she might now of somone who might have one.
    wiener

Answer by wiener at 7:16 AM on Apr. 6, 2009