Do you remember the story The Bad Seed?

In reference to a previous post:
Aren't some people just born deviant or evil? Shouldn't the parents recognize this problem and help the child psychologically, rather than ignoring the issue. I have a friend who always said her son was born evil, she caught so much hell for that, but now at 18, he' s been in jail twice, stolen 2 cars, verbalized killing school teachers, is into drugs and alcohol and verbalized beating his mother. My friend insists he was born bad, and just an evil child.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:21 PM on Apr. 5, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Saying a child is not born bad is like saying someone is not born gay.
    It sometimes has nothing to do with how they are raised but just who they are and you can't change that fact or place blame.
    If it is genetic or not sometimes it will never be known but if it happened from early on makes you think it was just how they are and not how they became from influences that they see or hear.
    As for as the bad seed child,you can try to get help but to blame the parent unless it's shown they harmed the child which caused serious mental issues is wrong,JMO.
    Anonymous

• it was her fault then she shoul had actually taken care of her child . i dont believe kids are born bad it is what they learn growning up that turns them bad . someone saying something like that is just making an excuse .
    Anonymous

• I saw the bad seed. Yes I do believe that some people are born without a conscious and others have defective genes and do not develop socially.
    Scorpio359

Answer by Scorpio359 at 5:26 PM on Apr. 5, 2009

• Maybe he realized his mom didn't have high expectations for him. Too bad even his own mother couldn't give him better future for himself, by thinking him perfect instead of evil. And I love the book Bad Seed. Now I think I'll go find it to re-read lol!
    Anonymous

• Well some do just have mental issues.A sociopath there really is not much help for.She should of had the child with a doctor though all through the yrs I guess.I have to wonder to if she was saying he's just evil and that is what he heard his whole life? If so she certainly wasn't helping.
    Anonymous

• OMG That's one of my all time favorite movies!! I use to watch it with my father over and over again. It's like a running gag in our house when we yell out "You give me back my shoes Leroy, you bring them RIGHT HERE TO ME!!!!"

Anyway, yes I think the parents should do all they can for their child until they are of age. After that there isn't MUCH they can do but suggest better outlets and try to nug them into the proper care. If you notice your child has some bad behaviors and every out let you try ends in distruction then you should call on a professional.

LadyChamp

Answer by LadyChamp at 5:29 PM on Apr. 5, 2009

• I don't think children are born evil, but I certainly believe that some children are more "challenging" than others! I think it is a parent's job to recognize the personality differences (including strengths and weaknesses) in each of their children and how they affect other family members, and not apply a "one size fits all" approach to parenting!

I have an out of control niece (through marriage) who for all intents and purposes would be considered a child of privilege, but she is literally Hell on wheels! Her older brothers are the complete opposite, but her mother desperately wanted a girl, and has seriously regretted her wish! Yet her parents do NOTHING to curb her behavior (been arrested for drugs possession and DUI, sleeps around without using BC, hangs with a "rough" crowd), and her parents say there is NOTHING they can do! They've given up...actually they gave up when the girl was about 12--she's 21 now.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 5:31 PM on Apr. 5, 2009

• OP here, she did get help for him. She had social workers, school counselors, psychologists and a psychiatrist, finally after assaulting the principal he was permanently removed from school at 14 and placed into Alternative School and placed under State control because of his violent behavior. She was a good and attentive mom, and dad was pretty good too, but it just seemed like nothing they did for him ever helped. He is now currently still in jail, never finished highschool or alternative school.
    Anonymous

• Yes, I saw the movie. It was creepy, but if I remember right, the parents weren't great disciplinarians, either.

If you are told your entire life you are evil, you are likely going to turn out evil.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 5:35 PM on Apr. 5, 2009

• OP here again, she never told him he was evil. She confided that with her friends and some family members, she raised that boy in a home that would be considered normal everyday living for suburbia, large clean home, stable jobs, close family, attractive and healthy all of that. He just was deviant to what society required of him.
    Anonymous