What is our problem? What isn't our problem?

I have seen so many videos like this where people do nothing.....this is just one of many: I watched a video of a woman beating the snot out of her child in the middle of a Wal Mart. It carried on for about 15 minutes. He was on the floor, beating him, kicking him, pulling his hair. The shoppers either kept walking, took pictures with their phones, or pretended it wasn't even happening! That poor boy, getting their shopping done was more important. That boy endured a public beating so bad because it wasn't any of our business apparently....what would you have done? Where do we draw the line as to what is our business and what isn't when it comes to the safety and well being of our future adult members of our society?

Steff107

Asked by Steff107 at 5:31 PM on Apr. 5, 2009 in General Parenting

• I would have ran over yelling "what the he!! is your problem!" and caused my own scene with that woman....
    ZaTa

Answer by ZaTa at 5:33 PM on Apr. 5, 2009

• I would have been calling 911 and stepping in to take that womans attention away from the child even if it means it got focused on me.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 5:37 PM on Apr. 5, 2009

• When a situation becomes physically abusive it is time to intervein. I would have gone to the nearest service desk and if they refused to help I would have called 911 myself.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 5:37 PM on Apr. 5, 2009

• I also would have called the police. That's insane. I would've said things to that women she wouldn't hear in hell. No child should be beaten. NO matter the circumstance. I really don't care if he committed murder. If he was a little boy, he should be taken away from that ugly nasty excuse for a woman. I honestly can say I hate her, and I don't even know her.
    mommykayti

Answer by mommykayti at 5:40 PM on Apr. 5, 2009

• Imagine what she was doing to him behind closed doors!
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 5:42 PM on Apr. 5, 2009

• I try to be slick with it sometimes, depending on how harsh the situation is.
    I'll say "Is everything ok? Are YOU ok?"....I've had success where they turn around and almost look like they didn't even realize they had gotten that out of control and apologize to me and their child and hug and kiss them and then tell them what they did wrong and why Mommy decided to kirk out. I've also had women turn around and start crying on ME (and don't even know me) and admit they just lost it. I've also had women go "and?" and I'll just shake my head and keep walking and notify the store manager and maybe they can call the police. It's sad but there isn't much you can do if they don't want people in their business. You don't know their name so it's not like you can report them to CPS. You COULD wait until they leave and follow them to their car and write down their tag numbers and report them. That's an idea!!
    LadyChamp

Answer by LadyChamp at 5:59 PM on Apr. 5, 2009

• id pull the woman off that child!! atleast she'd be fighting an adult than beating the crap out of a child. and i would call the cops..or hope someone else did.
    tnteaton

Answer by tnteaton at 6:22 PM on Apr. 5, 2009

• Having witnessed a situation where a mom was beating (fists flying) her own daughter and what happened when someone else stepped in...I would have instantly called 911, but if I had my own kids would have kept my distance. I would have taken pictures with my phone and turned it over as evidence..and video as well.

I've seen what can happen and I'm sorry...my kids safety will always come first. I would, however, have stepped in and waited for her to hit me once if my kids weren't with me. Then *I* would have pressed charges against her for assault!
    Anonymous

• I can't even beleive that I saw it but it still baffels me I woud have cused her out a blue streak until sunday
    lalasha

Answer by lalasha at 8:08 PM on Apr. 5, 2009

• anon 3:28 has a good point..can't put your own children in danger..
    tnteaton

Answer by tnteaton at 9:36 PM on Apr. 5, 2009