Who's mom or mil are driving them nuts about baby and food?

My daughter will be 8 months next Sunday. She has 4 6oz bottles a day. Breakfast is cereal mixed with fruit. She has gerber puffs, cheerios, breads. Dinner she'll have some sort of veggie we eat, bread or pieces pasta, sometimes pieces of lean meat and a fruit I have not introduced dairy products to her, I'm waiting till 9 months like my pediatrician suggested. What the problem is my mom and mother in law think how I'm introducing foods is crazy. I don't give my daughter juice. They just can't believe I don't. They always sneak her juice in her sippy and I get so mad. I don't mind a few sips of it but juice is not necessary for babies. I rather her get nutrition out of fruit. They always give her bites of things I have not given her yet. Even before I stared giving her solids they would hound me "oh I would have started solids by now..." She has her whole life to try new foods and they want to do it all right now.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:47 PM on Apr. 5, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I had the same problem with my MIL only she insisted on giving my (at the time) 7 month old daughter CHOCOLATE!!! and any other snack cake, etc... that she could sneak in when my back was turned!!
    pamelajqs

Answer by pamelajqs at 5:50 PM on Apr. 5, 2009

• I'd tell them that if they don't like the way I parent, and if the blatantly defy my wishes as a parent, then they won't get to see their grandchild. Harsh, yes. Necessary, yes.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 5:54 PM on Apr. 5, 2009

• lol funny you should mention that. thankfully my mil and mom don't live near here...actually my mom wouldn't care, i'm the mom and she understands that. my dd is 8 months and only on cereal, i mix some stage one baby foods in there, and she only gets a bowl of it at night. the rest of the day she gets bottles. i'm holding off on food for now. to be honest they don't need food until they're one anyway. on top of that, she has a bad gag reflux, like me, so when she tries new foods she automatically throws it up. it takes a while for her to get used to it.
    i know what you mean about mil's though. mine gave my son diet coke at 2 friggin weeks! she snuck it in his mouth when i turned my back...uuuggghhh pissed me and my dh off bad!
    Anonymous

• My mother keeps asking me when I'm going to give my son the jarred meat baby food. NEVER!!! She keeps telling me he needs it, but he doesn't and I think I might lose my lunch if I ever fed it to him. YUCK. He will have meat when he is able to chew and swallow it.
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 6:04 PM on Apr. 5, 2009

• My mom and mother in law try giving my daughter chocolate, whip cream and all kinds of sugar filled stuff. I get so irritated. They'll give her tastes when my back is turned. They think it's so funny too.
    Anonymous

• they dont understand, children were raised a lot differently when they were doing it
    aliciatron

Answer by aliciatron at 6:15 PM on Apr. 5, 2009

• You think you know all...But us grandmas have already done this raising babies..You turned out just fine the way your mom fed you. Pediatricians don't know all..Does yours have any kids?

Anonymous

• My kids pediatrician has 3 kids actually. My mother only had 1
    Anonymous

• I don't mind so much when my mother or sister do things like that (and mostly they check with me first) because they have raised kids before so I know they won't do anything that would harm my child, but it's when my 11-14 yo nieces take after the example and I find them feeding my 6 month old stale cheerios, or giving her gummy bears which she will just choke on. They have no place to feed my child anything- or do anything that I have not told them they can do. But they see their mom do it so they think they have the right.

I stopped asking them to babysit and I'm going to get a girl who goes to my church. They'll be mad but they should have thought about that before they ignored my wished.
    julipickle2

Answer by julipickle2 at 6:48 PM on Apr. 5, 2009

• My pediatrician has as many kids as my mother and my MIL put together so I'll take his parenting advice any day.

Our parents did give us a lot of unwanted advice over the years but it's tapered off. Every so often one of them will make some kind of snarky comment but whatever. They know if they tried to feed my son any food that we don't approve there will be swift and harsh consequences. My mother used to threaten to give my son chicken but I finally managed to convince her that she wouldn't be left alone with him till he's much older if she tried that.
    RhondaVeggie

Answer by RhondaVeggie at 6:55 PM on Apr. 5, 2009