6 year old starting have an attitude!

My 6yo stepson is generally a very good boy, but lately he's started rolling his eyes, pouting, stomping up the stairs, etc. when he has to do something he doesn't want to. Sometimes he also "threatens" us, saying things like "fine. if I have to clean my room I won't come back down" or " Fine. If I can't play my Wii I'm not going to do anything".... Honestly I find it kind of funny but I don't want him displaying this behavior at school or with anyone else so what do you all do about this kind of behavior? I've read ignorning it is one way to deal, and I do that sometimes but I want him to know that the behavior isn't going to get him what he wants and I don't feel like having that conversation everytime...is a timeout appropriate or does anyone have a better idea?! thanks!

stepmom929

Asked by stepmom929 at 5:48 PM on Apr. 5, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• ignoring is good at 3, but at 6 i think it needs a bit more guidance.

so when he says " "fine. if I have to clean my room I won't come back down"
    tell him, that's OK if he doesn't come back down. That's his decision. (and he'll miss dinner and miss going to friends houses, etc)

or " Fine. If I can't play my Wii I'm not going to do anything"....
    tell him "that's fine, that's your choice, too. "
    He can do nothing and not have fun and sit inhis room if that's what he wants to do. Let him 'not do anything'.

but if he he doesn't do anything he is expected to do- he looses all privelges (like the Wii goes to goodwill or a cousin's house and no playing with friends, etc).

I would address the rude, disrespectful words. Let him know what words/attitudes are disrepectful And let him know the consequences of talking disrespectfully to you.

Kiter

Answer by Kiter at 5:56 PM on Apr. 5, 2009

• As a mom of many ;o) I WILL NOT put up with any bad attitudes. Bad attitudes show lack of respect towards others and will blossom into worse acting out behavior. I'd nip it in the bud.
    Children need limits, structure, and guidance.

With bad attitudes I warn first (not just a pat don't do that warning. I let them know it's disrespectful and I want the behavior to stop right now. If it doesn't, I let them know what the consequence will be.) If the attitude doesn't stop, I enforce those consequences right away.
    If they up the ante, you up the ante. You are mom, you are in charge and it is not our jobs to be our childrens friends, but to raise them so that they become productive members of society.
    ggad

Answer by ggad at 9:22 AM on Apr. 6, 2009

• I agree with ggad...my tolerance for rude or disrespectful behavior is very low...my 6-yr old has showed this once or twice and I basically tell him I see that you need a moment so I will give you a few minutes to get yourself together and you can come to me when you feel like you are responsible and ready to be a big boy and apologize and this usually works BECAUSE there is NOTHING happening until then..no t.v., toys, books, games ...NOTHING :-)
    sexymommyrb

Answer by sexymommyrb at 10:37 AM on Apr. 8, 2009

• OMG, must be something about the age 6 - my son does exactly the same thing. I tell him straight away that the behavior is not good and what behavior is expected. If he continues, I tell him he will be in time out. That works 90%. If he continues, then he's in time out for 6 minutes. If he is still stroppy afterwards, I tell him to go to his room (or quiet room) and have a lie down to get himself together and to join me when he is ready. He is not allowed to play in his room if he goes there. I find that the bad behavior happens when he is hungry or tired. It might be an idea to watch the signs and feed him or give him some quiet time to read/quiet play before the stroppiness starts. Also it may help to have set times to play Wii, clean his room etc so he knows what is expected and when.
    Catwoman246

Answer by Catwoman246 at 2:46 AM on Apr. 10, 2009