Did anyone really think they were launching a satellite?

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/first100days/2009/04/05/prepares-emergency-session-gives-clues-north-korea/

"North Korea's state-run media claimed that the rocket managed to put a satellite in orbit that is now transmitting melodies honoring the communist country's founder, Kim Il Sung, and his son, the current leader, Kim Jung-Il. It is also sending "measurement data back to Earth," North Korean media reported.

But the North American Aerospace Defense Command and Northern Command said no satellite reached orbit.

"Stage one of the missile fell into the Sea of Japan. The remaining stages along with the payload itself landed in the Pacific Ocean. No object entered orbit and no debris fell on Japan," NORAD and NORTHCOM said in a statement. The agencies said the space launch vehicle did not threaten North America or Hawaii and so the U.S. "took no action in response to this launch."

AprilDJC

Asked by AprilDJC at 6:07 PM on Apr. 5, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Well, sure, why not?

Course I'm still waiting for the Easter Bunny to actually make a basket so I don't have to ;D
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 11:06 PM on Apr. 5, 2009

• NO,,Most of there rockets fail.

Answer by louise2 at 6:14 PM on Apr. 5, 2009

• U.S. may not have taken action against North Korea- but there was plenty of action going on here because of their launch.
    Kiter

Answer by Kiter at 6:14 PM on Apr. 5, 2009

• North Korea has ALWAYS threatened to send a nuke our way whenever they wanted more US financial support, and every so often they would be sent money, and the threat went away for a while. I have no doubt, that Kim Jung-Il senses that Obama is a push over (wonder where he got THAT idea?) and is once again flexing his little girly muscles at the US, to see what, if anything he can get out of the Obama administration.

They tested this missile under the guise of launching a satellite to see just how far it could come to the US. Since their missiles have the capability of reaching the US (which is indeed scary), and Obama is now very aware of that fact, NK will use this capability to negotiate whatever it wants. I wouldn't be surprised if NK teamed up with Iran to fulfill some twisted objective, and hold the US "hostage."
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 6:37 PM on Apr. 5, 2009

• do they know for sure if there was or wasn't a satellite attached to the missile? Why would there not be a satellite. NORAD even says there was a payload.
    Kiter

Answer by Kiter at 7:05 PM on Apr. 5, 2009

• I think the UN needs to investigate. I don't trust North Korea. And now China says they want to "help build a bridge" when I think all they may do is try and veto any investigations the UN may try and persue. China is N. Korea's biggest trade partner.
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 8:37 PM on Apr. 5, 2009