Question about gun laws

So my question is for the people who DO NOT own guns and probably never will. I ask this with all respect I just want an answer.
Why if you do not own a gun and probably never will, do you so addemently oppose gun control? I personally am all for it. I heard that they're trying to make it so you have to have a psychiatric evaluation before you can purchase a gun. Why is it so terrible to have that? I do not want to hear how it impairs your 4th ammendment because if you don't own one your not enforcing said ammendment. I do not want bashing everything is to remain respectful. I want answers and that's all

Havahsmommy

Asked by Havahsmommy at 6:19 PM on Apr. 5, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Wow. Good question. I am one of those "never owned one, never will" and I wonder this, too. I bet this will get a lot of people fired up!

Our hometown paper today had an article about how people are running out and buying guns because they are afraid Obama will make stricter gun laws. Of course that article was in between the one about the shooting in Pittsburg and the shooting in upstate NY!
    Indygirl18

Answer by Indygirl18 at 6:22 PM on Apr. 5, 2009

• lol that's funny indygirl. I don't want drama and I'm not looking to start any I'm just very curious!
    Havahsmommy

Answer by Havahsmommy at 6:25 PM on Apr. 5, 2009

• The right to bear arms is the 2nd Amendment, not the 4th. But on your original post. I agree! If someone wants to own a gun they need to be evaluated psychiatrically! Wife of a gun owner here, btw. My husband is a hunter. He used to have a handgun but then we had kids. I believe that there should be some regulation of gun ownership. I am not opposed to regulation (licensing requirements, reporting all of your weapons, taking a class in proper gun safety, and a psych eval).
    Anonymous

• Thank you Anon! looks like I need to brush up on my constitution lol. I got the fouth ammendment from some other mom who was having a fit about it. I have no problem with guns as I am hoping to become a police officer and will be carrying one. I do have a problem with some of the people who get a hold of them, I think it's safer and hopefully on the future we'll be able to avoid the terrible shootings like we've been having
    Havahsmommy

Answer by Havahsmommy at 6:35 PM on Apr. 5, 2009

• I am not currently a gun owner, but have owned one in the past. It was used for hunting. The gun was lost in the split up with my ex. He hid it with I tried to retrieve it with the rest of my belongings. I fully believe guns should be regulated. I have been the victim in two armed robberies: once in a small grocery store and once in the street. Also had a shotgun aimed at me by my ex (hence he is my ex).

Guns have their place, but they need to be regulated. There are too many crazies out there with guns now.
    Anonymous

• Sorry I am a gun owner and I must answer. Whether a person exercises their 2nd ammenment rights or not, it is their right and if part of the constitution fails, it will all be worthless, so as Americans they stand up for ALL American rights, under the WHOLE constitution.
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 6:36 PM on Apr. 5, 2009

• pagan_mama, I am a gun owner too and no one is saying that we shouldn't have the right to bear arms. What we are saying is that it should be regulated.
    Anonymous

• Thank you for your answer pagan mama. I understand about holding up the constitutional rights however you will still have that right just buying a gun will take a little bit more. They aren't taking that right away, they're regulating it so it's safer. If gun laws weren't regulated then couldn't children and teenagers have that same right to bear arms enforced since they're american citizens?
    Havahsmommy

Answer by Havahsmommy at 6:41 PM on Apr. 5, 2009

• Gun ownership is ALREADY regulated! You must be an adult over the age of 18. You must have never been convicted of a felony. You must have no mental issues. You have to buy your firearm and wait anywhere from 3 days to 2 weeks to pick it up while they run you through an FBI check. If you want to carry it on your person, you go through more paperwork. What else would you want to do? I wouldn't object to a psych eval if that's all. If I'm too crazy to pass an evaluation, I don't want the responsibility of handling a gun.
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 6:49 PM on Apr. 5, 2009

• I've never owned a gun and I probably never will but I don't appose gun control. I think there should be steps taken to make sure that guns are harder to put in the hands of crazy masocistic people.
    LadyChamp

Answer by LadyChamp at 6:51 PM on Apr. 5, 2009