Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

if your DH had depression and was having a manic episode and asked you to get him a gun, what would you say to him?

this is about helping him. Not leaving him. If you want to be rude, do somewhere else.


Asked by Anonymous at 6:47 PM on Apr. 5, 2009 in Relationships

This question is closed.
Answers (13)
  • OFCOURSE NOT! you get help for him, you sit and talk hold him in your arms and tell him you are there for him and everything will be alright, however that is not enough because of his condtion he needs meds to help him and counsling, for the both of you. things will be o.k eventually-just get help, and make sure he has no weapons around this can be a dangerous matter. he needs you 100% sounds like he is crying out for help, so pls don't put it off get help for him and you before it's to late, you don't want him to seek deeper in depression. don't give up Hon, there is help out there, good luck and GOD BLESS YOU BOTH

    Answer by mememommie at 7:30 PM on Apr. 5, 2009

  • I would find some professional help FAST. And I would NOT get him a gun. Tell him you are worried that he would get hurt.

    Find you and your dh a good Dr NOW.

    Answer by mom2twobabes at 6:48 PM on Apr. 5, 2009

  • I wouldn't go get him a gun I know that..I would try to get him to take his meds.But people with any kind disorder like this,,it's hard to get them to get help. Especially if they do not want help.


    Answer by louise2 at 6:51 PM on Apr. 5, 2009

  • I wouldn't say anything to him other than he needs to seek professional help. I would see about having him comitted if he is suicidal. He could get manic, take you, your kids and his own life. You need to act fast if he is having these thoughts

    Answer by PunkinLPN at 6:56 PM on Apr. 5, 2009

  • i would get him into a place and sign him in for 48 hrs and yes there are places like that

    Answer by Anonymous at 7:00 PM on Apr. 5, 2009

  • i would say fuck no because like me my so is anti-gun. So it would shock and scare me. Then i would suggest we go to the doctors together to see what we can do about this eratic change.

    Answer by mum-to-be-at-18 at 7:01 PM on Apr. 5, 2009

  • First of all,I feel you need to take all guns out of the house,If he really wants to hurt himself he will do it without you asking you to get it for him. He sounds like he is , in his own way asking for help,I am also on meds,for depression,and mood swings,and I know how he feels.You know your husband better than we do .(of course) if you think he is capable of harming himself or someone else,you need to call his DR,and his Dr,can have him,committed to be evaluated.for atleast 72 hrs.Explain to husband,that if he volunteers to go ,he can leave when he wants.Good luck honey,I know this has to be tough for all of you.

    Answer by Val504 at 7:16 PM on Apr. 5, 2009

  • I would have him committed.

    Answer by Magpie75 at 7:21 PM on Apr. 5, 2009

  • I agree with whoever said to remove all of the guns from the house, have someone come get them that will keep them away from him.
    I'd hate to have him commited, but it might save his life. I'd likely get mad even tho I know it's something they can't help and tell them that I'm not going to help them leave me and our kids, that there's no free pass out of this life, that you promised me a lifetime and by gosh that is what I want and deserve and that no matter what, as long as the kids aren't in danger, I'm here to stay, I'm here forever by your side, so fight with me, fight for us and our family.

    Answer by lisa_ann_p at 7:31 PM on Apr. 5, 2009

  • I would say "no".

    Answer by admckenzie at 7:33 PM on Apr. 5, 2009