why is she gagging on stage 3 foods?

My doctor encouraged me to start feeding my daughter stage 3 foods at around 9 months. i did and she would gag on the textured pieces. i stopped and resumed today she will be 11 months tomorrow and she is still gagging on the food. yet she chews the gerber lil crunchies fine. any opinions?

Wyldirishrose12

Asked by Wyldirishrose12 at 6:51 PM on Apr. 5, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Because it is gross. I say if you are feeding your child that they can have what you eat just smaller.

Anonymous

• Well, imagine you have this mouth full of slime and suddenly you hit a chunk in your throat when you tried to swallow. You'd gag, too. That's exactly why our pediatrician said to go right to table foods.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 6:53 PM on Apr. 5, 2009

• Its just a different texture to her, she may be sensitive to it. Keep offering it to her, just give her tiny bites and mix it with things like the gerber bites.
    Anonymous

• Its just a different texture, most baby's will the first couple of days... They soon learn to swallow the new foods :-) Good Luck Mommy! And remember that baby's on stage three's are ready for your table food too! Share little bits of your dinner to help her adjust to more tastes and textures, the more she eats now the better eater she will be as a big kiddo!!! :-)
    ashley_hatty

Answer by ashley_hatty at 7:41 PM on Apr. 5, 2009

• Probably because it's two textures at once. It's puree with chunks in it. You could just give her table foods. It's way cheaper, more nutritious and a good way explore new foods.
    kaosgirly8403

Answer by kaosgirly8403 at 7:55 PM on Apr. 5, 2009

• My son did the same thing. We used regular table foods, unseasoned and now he likes it.
    LaurenKaye29

Answer by LaurenKaye29 at 7:58 PM on Apr. 5, 2009

• We tried one of them -- Pasta Primavera, I think. My daughter not only gagged, but threw up... the next time I pulled it out she screamed. So I sniffed it, tasted it... OMG was it disgusting! Babies that are old enough and developmentally ready for stage 3 would be better served with soft, small bites of table food. Organic mac n' cheese, avocado, tofu, soft cheeses (my daughter loved Babybel at that age), yogurt, tofu, egg yolks (actually, the whole egg's probably fine at 11 months), beans, peas, cooked carrots... these are just some of the things you can give along with the stage 2 purees (or if you can get your baby to eat enough fruit and veg, skip the purees entirely).
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 8:24 PM on Apr. 5, 2009

• at 11 months she can eat what youre eating. that food is disgusting
    ssnelson26

Answer by ssnelson26 at 12:34 AM on Apr. 6, 2009