How do I get my son to stop touching my breast?

My son is 6 y/o and was breastfed til he was almost 2. No matter what I do or what I say, he always wants to touch my breasts. He doesn't do it to anyone else. I've tried ignoring it and not saying anything and just pushing his hand away, I've given him talks about how it's not appropriate and that I don't like it and I've also given him time-outs. But no matter what he always wants to cuddle against it, or touch it during play. Sometimes when he naps and cuddles next to me, he does it in his sleep too. Any advice?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:03 PM on Apr. 5, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I think you should set limits. Maybe it's not your breast he wants to touch--just the closeness of cuddling and hearing your heartbeat. Explain again (and probably multiple times) that he's not to touch during play, that people need privacy and they're own space & we keep our hands to ourselves but that he can sit on your lap to read a book or cuddle before bed. Breastfeeding until 2 is great! He's probably just used to that comfort and maybe he's seeking that again due to a change in his routine, problem at school, new baby or something else. Good luck.
    RugersMommy06

Answer by RugersMommy06 at 7:54 PM on Apr. 5, 2009

• Every time he touches your breast,,,smack his hand..Say stop doing that. You shouldn't have breastfed so long it seems like. HU
    Anonymous

• He is six,and you have told him ,what he is doing is wrong over and over,he is old enough to understand.He needs to be punished when he does this,like time out,I also would smack his hands,take the TV away ,or something he enjoys,but stick to it,because his behavior is unacceptable. Good Luck
    Val504

Answer by Val504 at 7:21 PM on Apr. 5, 2009

• Set up a booby trap....okay just wanted to make you chuckle. But seriously, I would take away tv or make him write sentences, or take away some other sort of privilege for being inappropriate. Get really upset, and let him know it!
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 7:47 PM on Apr. 5, 2009

• I would tell him that that is not allowed. If he does it again I would grab his hand and take him to his room and make sure u take something away from doing it and if he continues u need to call a doctor to get some help
    anna345

Answer by anna345 at 7:54 PM on Apr. 5, 2009

• well my son like to touch my breast i feel uncomfortable when he does it i pop his hands and tell him stop being fresh and tell him he is not suppose 2 that he will look at me and say why i tell him that u do not touch mommy like that i also told him he is not 2 do that 2 no girl because he goes 2 school and i do not need no other parent telling me that he touch their daugther then i will have 2 keep him home.
    sexyisha

Answer by sexyisha at 9:31 PM on Apr. 5, 2009

• You need to have the good touch, bad touch talk. Define the private areas and say that this is inappropriate, not just for touching you but anyone. Let him know he isn't to tolerate anyone touching him in his private parts and he is not to touch anyone else.
    tiggermom803

Answer by tiggermom803 at 12:57 AM on Apr. 6, 2009

• You shouldn't have breastfed so long it seems like.

eye rollingoh, for the love of FSM . . .

autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 7:02 AM on Apr. 6, 2009

• First I have to say you did nothing wrong by breast feeding to age 2, it's best for baby and mom that way. Don't let ignorant people tell you otherwise.

I think he's old enough to talk about it. Have you asked why he does it? Does he need comfort or does he miss the milk or is it just fun for him?

My son is a little younger (he's 3.5) but he sometimes touches mine too. If I ask he usually says it's funny so I just look a little confused and say "no it's not, why do you think it's funny?" He doesn't have a good reason so I remind him not to do it anymore. Took a while to sink in but now he only does it once every few weeks then remembers it's not appropriate. There's no need to hit him over this.
    RhondaVeggie

Answer by RhondaVeggie at 7:49 AM on Apr. 6, 2009

eye rolling for the love of FSM . . .

Thank you.. I agree. The two are unrelated. I agree with the good touch bad touch thing. Kids start to recognize differences in gender and some are more brazen than others. I remember being about that age and becoming "aware" of the differences as well. Perhaps the good touch bad touch thing will help. Good for you for breastfeeding so long! Mine is also (almost) 2 and still going.

s.teph

Answer by s.teph at 8:47 AM on Apr. 6, 2009