Have I ran out of milk?

My son is 2 weeks 5 days old
the past few days, he seems to be fine at night but i dont think it takes as much to fill him up b4 he passes back out , but the last few days he eats a little bit and then just gets cranky and is on and off and on and off of me, and so today i made him a bottle of formula after feeding him and he ate 4 oz on top of whatever he got out of me, and seemed much more content. and i just took a shower and my boobs aint near as big as they were, and they havnt been painfully engorged either like they was. so am i running out? is there anything i can do to produce more? Granted I enjoy not being engorged anymore, but Im worried my lil' guy is hungry.

c2customs

Asked by c2customs at 8:11 PM on Apr. 5, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Sounds like a growth spurt and your body regulating your supply. Cut out the supplementing and nurse more. If he is popping on and off, re-evaluate his latch and/or adjust your holding position. Also, make sure you're directing your nipple upward so the milk hits the roof of his mouth then slides down the throat, not just shooting down his throat--causing him to unlatch then want to nurse again only to unlatch.
    RugersMommy06

Answer by RugersMommy06 at 8:22 PM on Apr. 5, 2009

• When a baby takes a full bottle of formula after being at the breast, this does NOT mean he didn't get enough milk. Make sure that he is nursing at least 8-12 times in 24 hours. Newborns will often "cluster feed" where they feed on and off several times in a few hours.
    If he is showing signs that he is getting enough (at least 5 wet and 2 poopy diapers every day" and is gaining enough (he should be back to his birth wt. at his 2 wk check up) then you are making enough and he is getting enough.
    How your breasts feel has nothing to do with how much milk you are making. In the first 3 weeks or so is when your body "learns" to make the right amount of milk. Avoid supplementing with formula in these early weeks unless the Dr. tells you to and baby is gaining less than 4-7 ounces per week. Giving formula is a surefire way to decrease your supply becuase baby will nurse less frequently.
    If he needs more, nurse more!
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 8:25 PM on Apr. 5, 2009

• If you wish to breastfeed successfully drop those formula feedings and trust your body! What you need to watch for is wet diapers. Not feeling as full is not an indicator of lack of supply nor is how much you pump. Place baby to the breast everytime baby is hungry and all will be good. In those first few months baby will be attached constantly and this is normal and not an indicator of low supply (again refer to diaper count). You are doing great just drop that formula and you will be on your way to EBF bliss!

Anonymous

• I agree with above... it can feel confusing and stressful when they seem constantly hungry, but trust your body. Don't be afraid to put your baby to breast even if it hasn't been an hour since he last fed... I made the mistake of supplementing first with expressed milk then formula at the 3 month spurt and it took a lot of work to get my supply up. Your baby will get your supply up. The fact that he drank 4 extra oz doesn't mean you're not making enough. Good luck!
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 8:47 PM on Apr. 5, 2009

• bf'ing is all about supply and demand... to keep your milk supply up, try pumping.. you can freeze it.

formual feeding will only add to the problem... the breast will only produce what is needed, so if you are not feeding bm, you wont produce as much....

don't give up!!! gl
    JuLiAnSmOmMy317

Answer by JuLiAnSmOmMy317 at 9:37 PM on Apr. 5, 2009

• This is fine. The only "problem" here is nervous mommy syndrome :) Engorgement=over supply. So, once it's gone, you're making the right amount of milk. As long as you are changing 6-8 diapers daily, and your child does not lose weight, he's getting enough milk. I doubt formula is necessary, and if it's continued, it could damage your supply.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 10:34 PM on Apr. 5, 2009