rectal swab to check for strep b??

I was just on babycenter.org and it says that doctors do a vaginal AND rectal swab to check for strep b around 36 weeks - is that true?

stepmom929

Asked by stepmom929 at 8:15 PM on Apr. 5, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Yes. and you're lucky you got the heads up. I was a little confused why they chose to go there haha they explained later.
    mizsaxton

Answer by mizsaxton at 8:17 PM on Apr. 5, 2009

• oh jeeeeeez.....i guess you're right - at least I'm prepared now! :)
    stepmom929

Answer by stepmom929 at 8:18 PM on Apr. 5, 2009

• omg I'M not ready for that ...do u have to get it done??
    rissa1789

Answer by rissa1789 at 8:19 PM on Apr. 5, 2009

• they definitely have to check you for strep b before you go into labor, so I guess we don't have a choice :(
    I'm almost glad I am just finding out now so that I didn't have this on my list of things to be scared of throughout my whole pregnancy!!
    stepmom929

Answer by stepmom929 at 8:22 PM on Apr. 5, 2009

• Yes I just had mine done last week, it's not as bad as it sounds. They really just put the Q-tip on your butt and apply slight pressure. Dont stress, it's weird but nothing painful. Good Luck!
    Mrs.Hopeful

Answer by Mrs.Hopeful at 8:23 PM on Apr. 5, 2009

• yes , true buts its nothing like a pap smear, doesnt hurt at all
    mzprincessreina

Answer by mzprincessreina at 8:23 PM on Apr. 5, 2009

• Yeah you do. haha they only go in a teeny tiny bit to be honest it went so fast I thought maybe the nurse was outta her mind or confused why I was there.. really it's no big deal.
    mizsaxton

Answer by mizsaxton at 8:24 PM on Apr. 5, 2009

• uh? cant be true...im 38wks and they didnt give me one lol
    MissKellee

Answer by MissKellee at 8:33 PM on Apr. 5, 2009

• I imagine they will give you one right before you give birth. Or maybe you are very lucky and they don't do that to all women in your area, but I would be prepared for it when you go into the hosp for delivery lol
    AnastaciasMummy

Answer by AnastaciasMummy at 8:49 PM on Apr. 5, 2009

• I felt the same way about it, but after it is done you will wonder why you worried so much. It is actually the easiest part of pregnancy. They just swab it really quick and then you are done. I would do that a million times before I would have my cervix checked. At least it isn't painful!
    Katie6382

Answer by Katie6382 at 9:03 PM on Apr. 5, 2009