Chores for a 4 year old

My DD is going to be 4 April 29th is she old enough to have chores? Like I have her clean her room, her sisters room (for she is the one that plays in it and messes it up her sister is 15 months) and the hallway because she likes to drag her toys in the hall to play with them also we have a toy room down stairs for the toys that her and her sister have to share so she cleans her toys, but other than that is there anything else she can do as chores? I was thinking about giving her a 1.00 a week if she does house chores with out a fuss, but I will not pay her for cleaning her own things because I think that is her job to clean her toys is it wrong to give her an allowence to help with other house chores? My mom always said it was our house to so I never got allowence, but I fell to give it to her to teach her about money and so if she wants something she can buy it herself what do you think on this and the chores?

mommy5409

Asked by mommy5409 at 8:22 PM on Apr. 5, 2009 in General Parenting

• Our son has helped set the table, add clothes to washer/dryer "fold" and put away laundry, somewhat do dishes and pick up toys. He also will sweep and mop but it's not much of a help. He's done that since 2.
    RugersMommy06

Answer by RugersMommy06 at 8:49 PM on Apr. 5, 2009

• DS is 3- he helps clean up his toys and helps me gather up laundry. He gets $1.00 a week though for feeding his dog and helping let him in and out.
    ZaTa

Answer by ZaTa at 8:24 PM on Apr. 5, 2009

• We started having chores and giving an allowance at this age. One of the first chores was setting the table (put out napkins, forks etc.) Great chance to do a little 4 year old math too "how many plates will we need? etc.
    In my experience cleaning up their room is a pretty big chore and 4 year olds either need help or need it broken down into pieces "Put all of the blocks into this box". etc.
    At this age the kids were also responsible for clearing their own dishes at the end of the meal and putting their laundry in the hamper, and making their beds.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 8:29 PM on Apr. 5, 2009

• achually when it comes to cleaning her room she is pretty good at it. Sometimes her room will be spotless, but like a couple books and a couple pieces of paper then sometimes everything is throwen under the bed lol but uslually it is really clean for a 4 year old.
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 8:43 PM on Apr. 5, 2009

• oh ya I wanted to tell ya but I couldn't remember what it was lol tonight when i put her in her bed she was like "sigh" I need to clean my room tomorrow lol. That is what she said to me I thought it was funny the way she said it
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 8:45 PM on Apr. 5, 2009

• at 4 mine had to clean his room and put away his folded laundry, at 5 he also helps sweep
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 8:54 PM on Apr. 5, 2009

• i thought about the putting away there own clothes but dont they just put them in one drawer at that age lol or what if the stuff has to be hung up because her shirts get hubg in a closet
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 9:01 PM on Apr. 5, 2009

• She can help make her bed, put laundry in the hamper, set and clear the table, fold towels, dust. Realize that none of it will be perfect or what an adult can do, but it's a start, it's the effort she puts in. She can also wash the table off after meals. My son even cleaned the toilet (outside around where he peed on it,LOL) and washed the bathroom sink and bathtub. In warmer weather he watered the plants, flowers and grass.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:05 PM on Apr. 5, 2009

• My youngest is 3 and has chores. She's had them since she was 2-2 1/2 (not that she thinks of them as chores). Besides keeping her toys picked up she has to make sure her dirty laundry gets put in the basket. She puts her dirty dishes in the sink and cleans off the table if she made a mess. She helps unload the dishwasher (the kids use plastic plates and bowls that go in a drawer low to the ground so they can all reach and she puts that stuff away).
    Now that she is 3 (today was her birthday) she will learn to put her clean clothes away. My older kids all started putting clothes away at 3. She's already shown me she can handle it by folding up all her dirty clothes and putting them in the hamper. She's also learning to sweep with our little broom and likes to dust with the Swiffer duster.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 10:00 PM on Apr. 5, 2009

• cleaning her room (with some direction), setting the table, feeding a pet, cleaning her own mess up.. keep it simple the kids four! also if you clean with her you can make it a game.. who is the fastest.
    maiahlynn

Answer by maiahlynn at 10:26 PM on Apr. 5, 2009