My cousin is pregnant and her doctor told her she can't have an ultrasound until her hcg level reaches a certain point. Is this true because when I found out I was pregnant they just did an ultrasound without checking my blood or urine.

Asked by Anonymous at 1:27 PM on Jun. 20, 2008 in Pregnancy

• Im in the same boat you are. All they did was have me bring in my posistive test... then they did an ultrasound. That is something I haven't heard before.

Answer by Babyclark08 at 1:28 PM on Jun. 20, 2008

• you know it depends on the doc - my first pregnancy i had an ultrasound every visit and now pregnant with my second i wont have my 1st ultrasound until 20weeks!!
    its so crazy - and its kind of upsetting me cause i know how wonderful it is to be able to see the progress from one month to the next and i feel so in the dark about it all.

Answer by vakatia at 1:32 PM on Jun. 20, 2008

• You need to wait for your 1st u/s because if it's too early the doc might not see a heart beat yet and you will worry! They usually wait until 20 wks because that's when the baby's most vital organs are developed and they can see the baby's sex and also check for any deformalities.

Answer by maribel6500 at 2:21 PM on Jun. 20, 2008

• I had an ultrasound at 7 weeks and then again at 12 weeks. I have never heard anything like this before maybe she should get a different doctor!

Answer by lynnandadam at 3:07 PM on Jun. 20, 2008

• different dr's do things differently. They like for the mother to be 8 weeks when they do the ultrasound and they can measure that with the HCG level. But I just had a urine test and told them I didn't know when the last day of my last period was and I got one. If you say your last period was sometime before 8 weeks then they will normally not do an ultrasound that soon. But yea if they do an ultrasound any sooner than 8 wks you won't see anything really.

Answer by googiemommy at 11:01 PM on Jun. 20, 2008

• Sorry i never heard of them waiting for levels to be at a certain point after a confirmed pregnancy before they do furthur tests.
    I would think if her levels are lower than need be they would be checking to make sure the baby is ok.
    I know some wait until your at a certain month to do certain tests but that is a new one.

Answer by Baby1114 at 11:02 PM on Sep. 8, 2008