how do you keep your sanity with a husband that's a police officer?

my husband will be going to school to be a cop in aug. and i really need advice on how to be strong for him and not freak out on him. if he wants to be a cop i don't want to stand in his way. but i don't want to lose my mind either.

mommaseyes

Asked by mommaseyes at 8:31 PM on Apr. 5, 2009 in Relationships

• Do you mean b/c you are worried about his safety or what?

Have you seen the movie Fireproof. Its about a woman living a hard life with her dh who is a firefighter. Similar to cops.
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 8:36 PM on Apr. 5, 2009

• yeah being worried about his is exactly what i mean.

i've seen fireproof. i have the movie.
    mommaseyes

Answer by mommaseyes at 8:44 PM on Apr. 5, 2009

• I can honestly say that when my husband leaves for work every night I am positive that he will be home in the morning. We met on the job and since I worked with him I know that he has a good head on his shoulders and is smart when he gets on a scene. We did move from a big city in VA to a podunk town in IL simply because we didn't want to raise our kids in the ghetto with all of the little gang bangers. The only reason I worried about him before is because he worked on the gang unit and had a hit out on him by two gangs. That made me a little nervous! Just be proud of what he is doing and have faith that he will be safe. There is no point in worrying about something that may not happen.
    Katie6382

Answer by Katie6382 at 8:53 PM on Apr. 5, 2009

• My husband wants to go to school in aug to be a cop also.Where about?
    moma22angels

Answer by moma22angels at 10:41 PM on Apr. 5, 2009

• That's what my husband wants to do too, but in Oct. We're in Tx.

I don't think there's any thing you can do but be positive. Never let him leave to his shift angry at each other. Always cherish your time and kiss him before he goes to work. That's what I'm going to do.

My Uncle is a cop, he's advice to my husband, is safety first, the bad guys will still be there tomorrow, just live to catch them.
    lilmommy0416

Answer by lilmommy0416 at 12:02 AM on Apr. 6, 2009

• My hubby is a police officer in Detroit. It is VERY hard. It is like being a single mom sometimes. They work, have to go to court & sleep. I worry every night about him....exspecially lately. I don't let it over power me though. If I think of all the things that could happen I go crazy and get depressed. You have to make sure you stay positive with them. They deal w/ a ton at work. They don't need to come home to drama too. I don't "fight" with him over little things. Good luck to you all and to your hubby's too.
    MelissaENK

Answer by MelissaENK at 11:10 AM on Apr. 6, 2009