Smelly Dishwasher

How in the world can I get my dishwasher not so smelly anymore? It smells like rotten food each time we open the door. There's no trap for food that I can see, and I've already run a bit of bleach through it.

Suggestions??

THANKS!!

christaberk

Asked by christaberk at 8:41 PM on Apr. 5, 2009 in Home & Garden

• Does your manual say anything about cleaning your dishwasher? I was thinking maybe vinegar, then just a regular cycle afterwards--sort of like cleaning the coffee pot.
    RugersMommy06

Answer by RugersMommy06 at 8:47 PM on Apr. 5, 2009

• If you can't see a food trap, you probably have a DW that has a hard food disposer in the bottom which grinds up any goobers left on your dishes like a garbage disposal. A few things could've happened. A piece of glass could've broken off at some point and jammed up the disposer, a kid's toy could've gotten stuck in there (I had a repair man tell me he found a stuffed Nemo in someone's disposer before), or it could've just went kaput on you. I used to sell appliances so I've just about heard it all.
    Heather2001

Answer by Heather2001 at 8:51 PM on Apr. 5, 2009

• Hey, heather! glad to see you here! Question-- can I get the grinder thing out to clean it?
    christaberk

Answer by christaberk at 8:55 PM on Apr. 5, 2009

• I would run straight white vinegar through it a couple times.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 10:35 PM on Apr. 5, 2009

• If you have a garbage disposal also in the same line, you may have food trapped in between the two appliances. Run a couple lemons through the disposal and then check the seal around the dishwasher door for gunk and slimey stuff.Especially on the bottom of the door.
    Anonymous