At what age do kids start to talk more than mama or dada?

My dd will be 15 months old on the 11th and all she says is mama, dada, she used to say baba but since she is off of them doesn't say it anymore, she use to say na na (Renee) that is her sisters name, but doesn't say that anymore, she says hi, and she said Ryan one time which is her uncle and Ray one time which is a friend of hubbys and she has said papa and mamma, but doesn't even say those anymore all she says is the hi, mama, dada that is it oh and she says ya and no but that is it and ya and no is like once in a while is this normal? I can't remember how old my oldest was but I thought she was talking before 15 months but maybe not. Is this normal? What can I do to get her to talk more? I talk to her all the time.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:53 PM on Apr. 5, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I would wait until she is 18 months old before I would worry. Then you could mention any concerns to your pediatrician. Unless she is showing other signs of developmental delay (not pointing, not bringing things to show you, not waving hi/bye, not looking at you very often, etc, I wouldn't be very concerned. :)
    Norest4mommy

Answer by Norest4mommy at 12:48 AM on Apr. 6, 2009

• i wouldn't worry to much...

my son just turned 2 on st. pattys day and is just now starting to talk more (he did the same thing with saying things then stopping all of a sudden)... it's like it came out of nowhere (him talking all of a sudden), everyday he starts mocking the words i say more and more.. i would start with easy things, like car, book, and dog... show her the things you are saying

good job on the talking to her all the time... keep it up... look her in the face as you talk to her, she will watch your mouth... explain everything you do...

(a good example i saw here on CM) when cooking, tell her "this is the stove mommy cooks on, this is pan that goes on the stove (show her), the food goes in the pan"...extra...

i say it's comp. normal.. all babies do things at their own paces ♥
    JuLiAnSmOmMy317

Answer by JuLiAnSmOmMy317 at 9:44 PM on Apr. 5, 2009

• I was very nervous about my son around that time as well. He is a very stubborn child and he is determined to do things at his own pace. Ask him if he can say something, he says "Uh huh" but won't say it. He's 22 months and he's just now starting to use words where it's not the same syllable twice and last week started using two words together.

Everyone tells you that each child is different, but you'll allways compare the two. It will be not long from now and your daughter will probably develop in leaps and bounds and you'll forget you were even nervous. And then she'll get to be 3 and you'll wonder if she'll ever shut up. =)
    AutmnDreams

Answer by AutmnDreams at 11:32 PM on Apr. 5, 2009

• NOREST4MOMMY
    She does point and a lot lol
    She sometimes will bring me things and shows me, but also if I ask her for something she has she does give it to me.
    She will once in a great while waive by but not all the time but I guess at least she does it that much right? LOL
    She looks at me but what concerns me is that I will tell her no at times and say it like 10 times raising my voice eachtime then I end up moving her from the spot because she wont look at me nothing just keeps doing it lol she acts like she can't hear me or something. She also doesn't get scared. She doesn't jump at anything. Is that normal not to be ascared of anything?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:21 AM on Apr. 6, 2009