My 9 month old still wakes up at night. I was getting up and giving her a bottle to get her back to sleep. But the last 3 days I let her 'whine' herself back to sleep without going in her room and checking on her. She really starts crying when i go in and the leave. Do you think its ok to let her fall asleep by herself if shes not screaming??

elinmadddiesmom

Asked by elinmadddiesmom at 8:55 PM on Apr. 5, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• as long as she is alright it should be fine
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 9:01 PM on Apr. 5, 2009

• Yea as long as u know shes ok..just try peaking in instead of going in. I usually give mine a lil bit of water when i put him to sleep and if he wakes up in the nite it helps him go back to sleep.
    gavinsmoma

Answer by gavinsmoma at 9:08 PM on Apr. 5, 2009

• if you know she is not wet or sick then yes , let her cry. i feel for you my 13 month still doesnt sleep through the night. he has been sleeping better since i weaned him from the bottle though.
    NdJc0407

Answer by NdJc0407 at 9:09 PM on Apr. 5, 2009

• My opioion, just mine, you cannot spoil a child before what two, either way she is only nine months, go get her, hold her, rock her back to sleep, why do you want to leave your precious little one to cry herself to sleep at such a young age. OMG what are we all so busy we just let our babies cry. Sorry, I do not mean to sound so mean, I am a single mom, and an older mom 45 of a two year old, I love my son and he is just an awesome little boy and I held him till he fell asleep for months, and even today if he cries I go to him, why not, I want him to be secure in himself and in life not feel left alone. He is to young just as your littel girl is to young, she wants or needs something and sounds like she is hungry. I believe babies do not cry unless they need something, especially at that young age. Good luck
    mydreamowen

Answer by mydreamowen at 9:18 PM on Apr. 5, 2009

• i would say cuddle her back to sleep... she is still awefully young and just wants her mommy..

my son didn't sleep thru the night till he was over one...still wakes up from time to time now (just turned 2).. i don't cuddle him now but i did for the longest time...nothing wrong with giving them the safety and security they want. ♥
    JuLiAnSmOmMy317

Answer by JuLiAnSmOmMy317 at 9:20 PM on Apr. 5, 2009

• In all reality, it's whatever you feel comfortable with. Think about the future too...I feel guilty about having to work so tend to hold my son a lot...but later on it may come back to bite me. If he's sitting at the table he'll whine because he knows if he whines I'll pick him up...he'll get used to it and so on and so on. If you want to try to have your little one cry it out or if he's whining he may be doing it so you do pick him up...it's really up to you though. Nothing wrong in holding him or letting him cry...if it's over like 5 minutes, there may be something he needs...like a burp or something may be bothering him. As a first time and single mommy I like to try everything and see what works best for both of us.
    Anonymous

• I have a ten month old and we're going through this too. After a few weeks of letting her try to soothe herself, she does better at it. There are still times she gets worked up and cries a lot, though. We go in then and rock with her. Sometimes she really needs that. Sometimes she really needs a bottle. I kind of take it step by step with what feels right. Sometimes I can tell she's going to fall asleep on her own, other times I know she's gonna need rocking. If you think she's okay, let her fall asleep on her own, but if you think she's screaming and needs you, go in.
    mkemom519

Answer by mkemom519 at 9:34 PM on Apr. 5, 2009

• My baby wouldn't let me cuddle her back to sleep... she would just get mad... so I let her do like you say yours is doing, "whine" or fuss a little... and she'd go right back to sleep within minutes. If it's not all-out crying, give her the time. I think the immediate reaction of most moms is if you hear baby is awake, then go in. Once I started stopping myself and thinking, "wait, does she sound distressed..." most of the time the answer was no. Then if she did start amping it up and crying, I'd go in and feed her -- usually during a growth spurt or when she was teething. But you can tell the difference. Trust your instincts.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 9:49 PM on Apr. 5, 2009

• Honestly there's nothing wrong with you letting your little one whine herself back to sleep. I understand where the other posters are talking about making your little one feel safe and secure but at the same time infants need to learn how to fall to sleep on their own. All mommies know that cry when your little one is not okay so as long as she's not making that distressed sound, don't go in.

beautifulinlove

Answer by beautifulinlove at 10:07 PM on Apr. 5, 2009

• CIO...it's okay and won't hurt her at all
    Anonymous